Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This is a lot isn't it? if you have a baby around 11 months please tell me..

(24 Posts)
Twiglett Thu 07-Apr-05 12:14:33

If she could eat like this

DD got up in morning

piece of toast with marmite, rice-cake and a big banana plus beaker of milk (cow's not formula)

breadsticks snack

she has just eaten for lunch

2 slices of ham
20 pieces of fusilli pasta
5 baby corn
a WHOLE salmon fillet piece

she looks like she wants more

Dahlia Thu 07-Apr-05 12:20:19

Wow.
Mine didn't eat that much at that age. In fact, she doesn't eat that much at 22 months!

Bozza Thu 07-Apr-05 12:29:39

Yes it is a lot - well the lunch really. More than DD eats. More like what DS would eat at that age and he got himself up onto the 91%ile for weight because he also wasn't moving. Now though he's a skinny ribbed 4yo just like all the rest of them! Although have to say he eats well and plentifully still although his appetite goes up and down.

Fennel Thu 07-Apr-05 12:32:25

check out the april babies thread there are some 11-12 monthers who are eating far more than this - one is in 2-3 year old clothes already!

Chuffed Thu 07-Apr-05 12:40:35

Is it a growth spurt or does she always eat like this. Mine doesn't eat quite so much usually but can have really really hungry days sometimes. (just 12mths)

chipmonkey Thu 07-Apr-05 12:41:36

Twiglett, did you count the pieces of fusilli or is that a guestimate?

tiffini Thu 07-Apr-05 12:42:45

it is very healthy tho

Nemo1977 Thu 07-Apr-05 12:47:25

my ds is 18mths and i would be delighted if he ate like that
so far he has looked at his cereal
taken 2 bites of a ham sandwich
eaten 5 skips
and had about 3oz of milk;.

but if shes hungry shes hungry..lol

dot1 Thu 07-Apr-05 13:44:04

that would be my nearly 12 month old in 2 - 3 year clothes.... He's got an enormous appetite, but I'm pleased to say is thinning out a bit now he's much more mobile (his tummy really was HUGE a couple of months ago..!). I'd say don't worry - it's better that they eat than don't. I think if we let him, ds would eat all day without stopping - he has tons of food and 3 x 7oz bottles throughout the day. I've tried to stop worrying - especially like I say as he's starting to lose a few of his tummy and thigh creases!!!

milward Thu 07-Apr-05 13:48:23

Someone once commented to me that she'd never seen a baby (at 10 months) eat so much - my dds have always eaten well and I just follow their appetite. Good luck

Bozza Thu 07-Apr-05 13:49:51

dot1 - don't worry - see my post below. Would just try and keep giving him as wide a variety as possible so that when he gets to the awkward stage you've more ground to loose before it becomes an issue. Thats my theory. Eg if he eats brocolli, spinach, califlower and cabbage and gets to two and refuses to eat spinach you've still got all the others in his diet. But if he only eats spinach, gets to 2 and refuses it you've got an issue.

dot1 Thu 07-Apr-05 13:54:36

ds is now off the chart in terms of weight... But still not worrying!! He's also very tall and it seems is just going to be a big boy!

otto Thu 07-Apr-05 14:04:37

My ds can eat like this too. He reminds me of a baby bird - his beak is open and I just keep dropping food in. He's 12 months, but has been toddling for a while, so I think he just burns up a lot of energy as he's not at all fat.

Twiglett Thu 07-Apr-05 16:14:36

she always eats like that

and for the first time I counted, just to see

am not in the slightest bit worried, she will become a fussy nightmare soon enough

I am just astounded

nailpolish Thu 07-Apr-05 16:20:14

twig, we worry if they eat, we worry if they dont!

Bozza Thu 07-Apr-05 16:27:44

Does she let you feed her twig? Because that lot all sounds a bit fingerfoody to me. DD had quite a large bowlful of stew by her fingers the other day. I obviously didn't give her the bowl or else it would have ended up on the floor. Just dumped it on her tray a bit at a time.

Twiglett Thu 07-Apr-05 16:54:09

Really am NOT worried

She goes through phases Bozza - normally she gets porridge or weetabix (2) for breakfast and that is spoon-fed - she'll take yogurt and stuff off a spoon and sometimes stew / couscous type dishes but finger food is easier cos she lets me do mumsnet

She's just had carrot (batons) brocolli (4 florets) and a half bagel with cream cheese and a bowl of yogurt

she's gonna blow

californiagirl Thu 07-Apr-05 18:17:52

When DD started in the toddler room at nursery, she was sick. After 3 days, they took me aside and told me I sent too much lunch for her. I told them she was sick, and when she got better, she would eat that much lunch. They didn't believe me -- the teacher said "That's as much as my lunch, and she's not a big baby!" (She's 50th percentile in weight, almost 90th in height.)

Yesterday she ate every scrap. When I left her today, after she ate breakfast out with me, she was devouring pretzels, pears and milk for snack with a "Mommy never feeds me at home" voraciousness which made me doubt having seen her eat half a piece of toast, an egg's worth of scrambled eggs, some sausage, some mushrooms, some potatoes, and rather a lot of fruit not 20 minutes before her "snack". She does have quite a bit of tummy at the moment, but on the other hand she does also have 6-9 month clothes she's still wearing -- at 13 months.

Bozza Thu 07-Apr-05 21:13:25

She's like DS again twig - he would let me feed ready-brek and anything sweet - yoghurt, fruit etc. DD is altogether more feisty about it. <Probably takes after her mother - I'm on here trying to calm down after having a go at DH for spending 20 quid on a top from next >

popsycal Thu 07-Apr-05 21:16:00

enjoy it
ds1 was like this - now he is 2 years 8 months and just wants ice lollies, apples and 'cinema sweeties' (haribo)

oh he likes pink fish too though

Xzebra Thu 07-Apr-05 21:17:53

My kids are runts (7th, 9th & (the really BIG baby at around) 25th %tile for weight). They all ate like that at that age. Complete utter oinkers. I spend all day feeding DS2 whatever, plus a big night feed. I don't know where it goes, either.

dot1 Thu 07-Apr-05 21:26:29

On a Thursday and Friday, ds has breakfast at home - 1 weetabix plus shreddies - and then has breakast at nursery - bowl of ready brek!!! Has lunch and afternoon tea at nursery and then a 2 course tea when he gets home !

Bozza Thu 07-Apr-05 21:27:36

DS did the two tea thing for years. Only stopped in the last six months. Instead of his second tea tonight he had a banana, two plums and some easter egg.

Xzebra Thu 07-Apr-05 21:46:27

It's 2 breakfasts with my kids (more like 3 breakfasts, for the 10month old). They are definitely hobbits, the lot of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now