Talk

Advanced search

Help my 4 year old daughter has discovered toilet humour !!

(15 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Wed 21-Jan-09 20:28:05

Hi, my daughter is nearly 4 and is experementing with humour. She sayes things like "My name is called Lucy poo poo",or "My teacher is called Mrs poo bottom" and raws with laughter.
I know she's just descovering her sence of humour, but how should I react to it? I usually just say her name in a sort of fun disapproving way, which she finds funny.
I've told her it's rude, and I'm sure she understands as she'd never say these things out side the family. (I hope) blush
So should I ignore it or laugh at her? I want to encourage her sence of humour as it's a very important trait, but all her jokes seem to be based around the toilet and private body parts. hmm

Twims Wed 21-Jan-09 20:30:37

What a delightful stage grin

LIZS Wed 21-Jan-09 20:31:16

That's perfectly normal. Choose whetrh to laugh or ignore. Just make sure she understands that it isn't nice to actually say it at school !

mummyloveslucy Wed 21-Jan-09 20:41:45

I'm sure she would't dare say it at school, "Mrs Poo bottom" is very strict. grin I did over hear a conversation with a friend of the same age which went "You're a poo poo bun" to which her friend replied "You're a boobie face".
I quickly went in and told them both that it wasn't very nice to talk to your friends like that. They both appologised to each other then carried on playing.

mummyloveslucy Wed 21-Jan-09 20:43:27

They both found each others insults hillarious too. hmm

coochicoo Wed 21-Jan-09 21:07:35

Yep. Ds (3) is also going through this phase. I think it's really endearing that he thinks poo poo is such a rude word...if only he would stay that innocent! I usually laugh tbh; it's usually me he's calling a poo poo head and it's always very good natured.

madrose Wed 21-Jan-09 21:09:25

i get called a bogey by dd 3.10

fizzbuzz Wed 21-Jan-09 21:11:06

I think it's funny! I have a toilet sense of humour too (although perhaps not Mrs Poo Poo Bum).

I don't see why it is a problem if her and her friend are laughing when saying it, as long as they aren't been nasty to each other.

Once had to endure a 1 1/2 hour coach trip with ds then age 3 1/2 and his friend shouting Poo Poo at each other all the time....now that did get a bit wearing grin

earlynite Wed 21-Jan-09 21:25:41

Poo is my DS favorite word. He uses it when ever he can and is very creative with it too. I am sooooo proud! grin

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 21-Jan-09 22:28:08

When my ds's went through this stage, I could feel like I was funnier than Victoria Wood - all I had to do was say 'poo' or 'bottom' and they'd rock with laughter.

Now that they are older (11, 13 and 15), the humour is -sooo- -much- -more- -sophisticated- based round fart jokes and rhymes.

Eg:

To fart, to fart, it is no crime,
It gives the stomach ease.
It warms the bed in winter time,
And suffocates the fleas.

Ay thank you!

wideratthehips Thu 22-Jan-09 14:33:15

i started to think my ds had no sense of humour at 4 when he made no comments like this. now he has started reception he thinks

"bum bum poo wee nappy head" is side splittingly funny as well as any farty/burping type noises...i usually raise an eyebrow and go....'okaaaay'

i think everyone of his friends talk like this, i think it must be a special code to flumox adults

Acinonyx Thu 22-Jan-09 14:58:52

fizzbuzz - I think it's cute and funny too. I just laugh.

This is just starting with dd (3.5) - she's mainly into ice cream jokes. What's very cold on you head? An ice cream hat. What's very cold and has whiskers? An ice cream mouse. You get the idea....

orangina Thu 22-Jan-09 15:19:33

Dd (3.5) loves poo and bottom jokes. And farts. Har de har.....

Stayingsunnygirl Thu 22-Jan-09 15:57:04

Then there are competitive burping competitions - endless fun if you are male and under -16- -17- -18- -19- 20- - well, male, anyway!!grin

Stayingsunnygirl Thu 22-Jan-09 15:58:06

Humph - a dash either side of a number was supposed to cross it out - which would have looked funnier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now