Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Desperately need advice on walking!!!

(20 Posts)
em1975 Mon 04-Apr-05 11:29:11

My daughter is 17 months old and still not walking. She only stands on the very tips of her toes and won't put her feet flat down, is this normal! My mum has got me all worried about it!

mckenzie Mon 04-Apr-05 11:43:59

hi em1975
my son was a late walker and I was worried too just like you. every other child in all my groups was walking but not my DS and it really bothered me.
The up side is that by walking late he didn't have any of those horrible accidents falling over his own feet and hitting coffee tables etc., he just decided one day to walk and that was it. Off he went.

If the tip toe issue is bothering you though then that is enough of a reason to get her checked out with your health visitor or doctor.
You need peace of mind dont you?

em1975 Mon 04-Apr-05 11:46:30

when did your son start walking? did he walk on tip toes?

fisil Mon 04-Apr-05 12:02:37

I think this is normal, I've heard that many children start with tiptoes, but I'd do what mckenzie says and chat to your hv. A friend of mine's baby was not walking at 18 months, and it was totally obvious that he was not going too - he was sort of walking around on his knees, so he clearly had the idea and the strength. It was really easy to see (with him) that there was a problem.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 04-Apr-05 12:04:12

I think walking on tiptoes is very normal. Baby bouncers and baby walkers encourage it a bit, but kids grow out of it, whatever.

Is she a bum shuffler? I've known a fair few bum shufflers who took their time learning to walk - if you bum shuffle, you can carry stuff and see around, so why bother walking?

HandbagAddiction Mon 04-Apr-05 12:04:33

My dd is 18.5 months and also not walking yet. I can understand why you are concerned as I have also had times where I too have worried - although I'm very chilled out about it now although it's killing my back having to carry her around.....

Irrespective of whatever anyone tells you, if you are genuinely worried, do go and see you GP or your HV and ask them about it. For the record, my HV and GP aren't concerned in the slightest!!

An awful lot of babies do walk late - more often than not, it's because they're either lazy or have adopted another more effective way of getting around - so my dd bum shuffles at speed.

zebraXing Mon 04-Apr-05 12:04:44

It's only past 18 months that it's unusually late, and even then, often nothing is "wrong", they just get going later than "normal". My 10 month old doesn't walk but sometimes stands on his tiptoes, didn't occur to me to think it was strange! They're just learning how their own feet work.

ambrosia Mon 04-Apr-05 13:03:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

darlingbud Mon 04-Apr-05 13:05:59

Please don't worry about this. They are all different. My dd was walking at 12 months but my friends son didn't walk until 21 months.

kid Mon 04-Apr-05 13:08:12

my DD started walking at 21 months. As she wasn't walking or even standing at 18 months, she had her hips x-rayed but everything was fine.
She was a bum shuffler from 12 months and this tends to lead to late walkers. They soon catch up though!

em1975 Tue 05-Apr-05 11:08:52

Phew, I'm not the only one then! Thanks for making me feel better guys! She doesn't bum shuffle but she's an expert crawler, everyone comments on how fast she crawls!

clary Wed 06-Apr-05 01:17:48

em just saw this thread and wanted to sound a note of caution.
Do you mean yr dd is not standing up (even if pulling up on sofa etc) on her feet rather than on tiptoes?
If this is the case, I would talk to HV and GP. "normal" parameters for walking are 9mo to 20mo, but a 17mo who is not even standing is a cause for some concern.
Agree with those who say it may well be fine; a pal had a ds who had a hip problem, they knew about it but in the end the hospital told them he would walk on his own, and yes, at nearly 2 he has been walking well for about 2 months which is great.
On the other hand a collegaue has a ds who was a very late walker, she was anxious but evberyone said oh no, don't worry; still not walking at 2 and now (aged 5) has general late development.
Not saying that's the case with you of course, but the parameters are there for a reason; deviation from them is worth investigating.
(sorry for such a long post and to seem so gloomy; don't mean to be but do feel strongly that not everything should be answered with "oh yes that's normal don't worry")

Fio2 Wed 06-Apr-05 07:25:42

I personally would see my GP/HV, it might be as simplke as she just needs a bit of physio. Either way i would seek an expert opinion

kid Wed 06-Apr-05 07:46:49

No harm in getting a bt of reassurance but I know my DD wasn't standing at all, on her own, against furniture or when holding hands at 18 months old. One day, she just stood herself up in the middle of the room and stood for a few seconds. 8 weeks later, she was walking.

elliemae Wed 06-Apr-05 14:29:59

HI,

MY DD HAS ONLY BEEN WALKING FOR 2 MONTHS (SHE STILL CRAWLS A LITTLE)SHE IS (26MNTHS) AND WAS PREMATURE BUT I KNOW PLENTY OF KIDS THAT ARE LATE WALKERS .i AGREE YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF PROBLEMS, BUT EACH CHILD IS AN INDIVIDUAL AND WILL ONLY DO THINGS WHEN THEY ARE READY.I ALSO THINK IF YOU PUSH THEM THEY TEND TO TAKE THERE TIME EVENMORE.

piffle Wed 06-Apr-05 14:44:33

my dd walked in January, she was 27 mths!
She had been cruising since 11 mths and crawling since 9 mths
We had a few appt with physios they said that she would do it eventually and she did, now 3 mths on
Jaysus she runs jumps and everything!

em1975 Thu 07-Apr-05 11:22:34

Just to update you! I have spoken to HV and she says to see GP as some physio might be needed to stretch tendons. She said it could be habit but best to get it checked so I am going to GP this pm. Will let you know!

kid Thu 07-Apr-05 13:14:30

Glad you spoke to the Dr and they can see your DD soon (we have to wait weeks usually!)
I wonder how long it will be after she starts walking that you wish she wasn't!

vess Thu 07-Apr-05 20:51:20

Hi! This thread got me thinking..I've often wandered why is it that in some countries they recommend a particular type of 'first' shoes - quite stiff and above-the-ancle high. I thought they must be a bit uncomfortable, after all, children crawl a lot even after they start walking. Now I realise that maybe the whole point is to encourage walking by keeping the foot in the right position and discourage crawling as the main way of moving around (and standing on tiptoes).
So, maybe after the physio, it would be a good idea to get some shoes like that? Only after seeking professional advice about it, obviously!

mojomands Wed 13-Apr-05 15:43:59

Hello all
My 14 month old doesn't walk or crawl or bum shuffle. Her legs move often when she's sitting and when I hold her in a standing position she holds her weight but her legs are so straight - she won't bend them. Is this ok or does this indicate a prob;em. She' my first child so I'm a bit clueless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now