Talk

Advanced search

Verbal Diarrhoea

(38 Posts)
Dior Sun 03-Apr-05 22:35:17

Message withdrawn

misdee Sun 03-Apr-05 22:36:30

it gets worse. 5year old girls dont stop for breath!

Xena Sun 03-Apr-05 22:37:25

I agree Misdee DS talked alot but DD expects answers too!!!

kid Sun 03-Apr-05 22:38:15

Apparently they don't talk as much once they reach 10!
My DS just turned 3 so we are still at the non-stop talking stage.

sparklymieow Sun 03-Apr-05 22:38:32

DS is 7 and never stops!!! you have a long wiat for it to stop

Wallace Sun 03-Apr-05 22:39:24

Ds recently said to me "Mummy! Would you stop just saying 'goodness!'" And I thought I had "not really listening, but pretending I am" down to a fine art

Dior Sun 03-Apr-05 22:44:23

Message withdrawn

Pinotmum Sun 03-Apr-05 22:44:23

Dior, I have this will my dd and it's so draining isn't it. I start out trying to be Mrs Information to the multitude of questions but she then asks the same one again. I have been known to shout "if you are going to ask questions please have the common courtesy to listen to the answer" but she just looks at me and continues. Inside I am pleading "Help me I am losing the will to live" and outside I am trying to be perfect mum - knackering [head in hands emoticon]

Pinotmum Sun 03-Apr-05 22:45:26

we posted together

debs26 Sun 03-Apr-05 22:45:34

ask him 'what noise annoys an oyster?' might give you a few minutes off while they work it out. this will only work a limited number of times so use it wisely!

Dior Sun 03-Apr-05 22:47:48

Message withdrawn

MamaMaiasaura Sun 03-Apr-05 22:51:33

ds is 5 and still talks non stop.. he knows it too and it doesnt stop him.. over 4 hours of non-stop chatter in car to cornwall and then same again back from cornwall.. If you have seen shrek2 - he was like Donkey.. are we there yet? are we there yet, i wish we were there now.. (he then makes horsey sounds and popping sounds), spills his drink, starts sucking each finger ending with a 'pop' then asking why is grass green? why do i need to look out for speed cameras? why? why? WHY? ARGGHHHHHHHHHH.

tiffini Sun 03-Apr-05 22:54:03

MY DS 4yrs also never shuts up, that i can cope with, but he has a tantrum if i am not looking at him while he is talking. Not good while i am on MN

Pinotmum Sun 03-Apr-05 22:54:56

but as an elderly lady at the Doctors Surgery remarked as dd talked non-stop for 10 minutes "they're great company aren't they?"

Dior Sun 03-Apr-05 22:58:43

Message withdrawn

Dior Sun 03-Apr-05 23:00:56

Message withdrawn

kid Sun 03-Apr-05 23:09:58

Does he go to nursery / pre-school? I am looking forward to my DS going so they can use up lots of his energy.
It is hard being a mum, we don't get training but it is very rewarding. It does get easier as they get older.

How about you do some questioning with your DS, see how much information he has absorbed.

trinityrocks Mon 04-Apr-05 09:03:55

My dd 5 never stops asking questions and expects answers all the time. It is VERY wearing and I do have to ask her to stop sometimes. One thing that does work sometimes is asking her loads of questions instead, reinforces her learning and is easier than answering hers !!!!

Earlybird Mon 04-Apr-05 09:19:55

DD (4) talks alot too. I have begun announcing periodically "now it's time for some peace and quiet". I tell her to go get her books, and she'll spend a little while contentedly looking through them. I also find that if I put "her music" on, she will play happily and quietly. But, then there are other days when I am not quite so patient or dd is not so cooperative.....it can be very wearing. So, you're definitely not alone! To be honest, I don't know how mums with more than one do it!

saadia Mon 04-Apr-05 10:35:23

Dior, just try to relax and don't expect too much from yourself. I feel really bad because my one year old d2 gets half the attention that three year old ds2 get. He often has to sit quietly while ds is being dealt with, but he seems happy enough.

If your ds is chattering away, then I think it's a good sign that he is stimulated and curious. My ds2 has memorised all his storybooks and walks round the house reciting them and I have to keep expressing interest in what he's saying, so I know that the constant demands for attention can do your head in. Is there anyone who could look after ds for a while so you can do something fun just for yourself? I think it's important to have a change of scene every now and then.

Pinotmum Mon 04-Apr-05 11:04:43

Dior, I was in the surgery to have my brain removed . I have a 2 yo who repeats everything the 4 yo says and they talk over each other until the noise level is ridiculous. Now however the Easter holidays have ended and this morning they are at Playgroup and dd will be at Nursery this pm. All's calm at the moment (deep sigh) and serene

Gobbledigook Mon 04-Apr-05 11:08:47

Arrghgh I know what you all mean!

DS1 is just 4 and it's non stop - I'm afraid I do end up saying 'can you just give your jaw a rest for 5 minutes?'. Feel really bad then when he says 'oh, but I'm just trying to tell you something Mummy'

The car stories are funny - yes, ds1 rabbits without any pause for breath when we are in the car. They do know when you're not listening! DS2 is 2.5 so is just starting to join in and it's very wearing. Oh no, ds3 is only 7 months but what about when he's at it too? Arrghghghg!

Gobbledigook Mon 04-Apr-05 11:09:32

Gawd, mine aren't back in playgroup till next Wednesday!! HEEEEELP!

Pinotmum Mon 04-Apr-05 11:14:06

Tha's parent abuse, surely - Next wednesday, next week??? [thud as pinotmum faints and hits the floor]

Pinotmum Mon 04-Apr-05 11:14:59

Actually, GDG how to you mange with 3 so close in age? Respect is due

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now