Talk

Advanced search

What are the signs for a 4 yrs old sleepwalking??

(9 Posts)
Biglips Tue 20-Jan-09 10:10:26

as my 4.3yrs old dd1 often wakes up either after an hour she had been asleep or in the middle of the night. It only started since she started school when she turned 3, before that she slept thru from age of 8 weeks.

When she comes down here, she not all there - ie awake, and she start hyperventilating, shaking and sobbing, also she be very hot...so i put her to bed and she falls back to sleep quickly. the next morning 8/10 she doesnt always remember she came down or got out of the bed to wake me up.

i wonder if anyone's LO is the same?

mankyscotslass Tue 20-Jan-09 10:16:07

My eldest DS is like this. We are pretty sure he is sleep walking. He also talks nonsense (or at least more nonesense than usual) grin.
I think the important thing is to be calm and gentle and not wake them. Sometimes we bring him in with us till he wakes properly, others we take him back to bed.

Biglips Tue 20-Jan-09 10:16:08

also its hard to get her to talk too

OneLieIn Tue 20-Jan-09 10:19:18

If she is sleepwalking, just calmly put her back in bed, make sure she is calm before leaving the room.

My DS sleepwalks, I do too. It's one of those things. The worst thing you can do to a sleepwalker is wake them up - don't try to make them talk, just calmly guide them back to bed.

mankyscotslass Tue 20-Jan-09 10:20:41

Yes, if we talk directly to him he won't/can't respond, infact it seems to distress him. But he will mutter away quite happily.
He has no memory of these inicidents either.
It dosen't happen every night, but can sometimes happend 3 nights in a row, then go weeks with nothing, then start again.

Biglips Tue 20-Jan-09 10:21:23

i cuddle her for 5 mins to calm her before i put her to bed.

im thinking of putting a gate on top of the stairs as too risky

Biglips Tue 20-Jan-09 10:23:25

as last night she was mumbling saying she wanted to talk to me and i figured out that she wanted to go to the toilet which i took her back upstairs to the toilet and then she went straight to bed to sleep.

i think she got lost looking for the toilet

Biglips Tue 20-Jan-09 10:24:50

its strange isnt it...

to be honest she did stopped it when i had my dd2 17 weeks ago and then started again a few weeks ago

mankyscotslass Tue 20-Jan-09 10:25:20

We have left the stair gate at the top of the stairs for the same reason. I also worry as he has a cabin bed and has to negotiate the ladder (we got this before the sleep walking started). But no accidents so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now