Talk

Advanced search

CAN'T POO WON'T POO - HELP!!

(11 Posts)
pinkpootle Fri 01-Apr-05 19:58:15

my dearest dd1 is 2 and 1/2 and proud of it. she decided to stop wearing nappies about 4 months ago and is now dry at night too. hurry you might say and yes, but no... she will not poo. anywhere. she squeezes even when sitting on the potty so she doesn't have to go. it is driving me mad. docs no help just give her lactulose, health visitors and nursery nurses can suggest nothing - have tried EVERYTHING!! help! her anus was purple and bulging like piles this morning (quite normal gp said - i don't think so!

ambrosia Fri 01-Apr-05 20:53:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emmatom Fri 01-Apr-05 21:07:25

Does or did it hurt when she had a poo, as sometimes there can be a little tear just up inside the butt that makes a poo unbearably painful and little ones will do anything to avoid this.
If it could be this I think it just has to heal on it's own and in the meantime try to keep poos soft with currants, orangejuice, water etc.

rogan2001 Fri 01-Apr-05 21:07:39

can't offer no advice, just sympathy, my ds, 3.3yrs has been doing this for 7 mths now, he is on lactoluse which does'nt help the holding problem, just makes it softer when it does come out, the doctors and hv have been useless for me too, my doctor said he will grow out of it by the time he's 5, great so we're supposed to go on like this for another 2 yrs. It does sound like your dd maybe has piles which is causing the pain, once they have a painfull experience it takes them a very long time to get over it. I have tried everything i can think of with my ds, and nothing has worked, at the moment i am just ignoring it.

LoubieLou04 Fri 01-Apr-05 21:10:35

My friend swears by giving her DS dilute prune juice to keep his poos soft. But be careful you dilute it lots otherwise things could get quite explosive.

MrsMiggins Fri 01-Apr-05 21:25:56

my friends child has just gone through this - it is fairly normal - child is used to pooing standing up and so doesnt want to sit on potty....holds it in & then it hurts.....they waited until said child reallt needed to poo and held him on the potty - hugged him while pooing and then gave lots of praise & chocolate reward. He's OK now - took 2 weeks. Your child is just anxious about the poo - this is VERY common!!
maybe try reading - say "poo poo time" and take a book so she feels relaxed?
only a suggetion - may be rubbish as I have not had this problem - our problem is "cant be arsed going for a wee as this tv/game/book is far more interesting....DS will quite happily sit in wet pants & trousers (nrly 3yrs!!)

MrsMiggins Fri 01-Apr-05 21:27:22

p.s can you tell I've had a couple of glasses of wine???? DH & my brother has gone to pub leaving me home alone with only bottle of red & mumsnet for company

VeryTired Tue 05-Apr-05 10:01:03

Our son is nearly two and for over a year had a problem with constipation and painful 'pooing' Having spoken to both our healthcare visitor, and locum doctor we were assured that constipation was perfectly normal, even when there was blood involved. It was only in January this year that I took him back to the doctor - who felt his tummy and referred him straight to the hospital where he was diagnosed with chronic constipation. His bowel has stretched to such an extent it may take up to a year to shrink back and return to normal.

We had to hold him down while an enema was administered (he seems to be a little tense was the nurse's comment!)

In the meantime he has been prescribed both lactaluse twice daily and senakot each evening.

Don't let anyone tell you that constipation is normal - and sometimes it seems that lactaluse isn't enough and some form of laxative is needed.

Your pharmacist can advise even if the doctor is unwilling to.

hatmum Tue 05-Apr-05 10:48:21

Woman's Hour has just had a big item on this - sure the website will have more info. Dietary changes and reflexology seemed to have helped the particularly bad case used as their study.

Sareydee Tue 05-Apr-05 20:55:14

My dd is 3 years old and has been on lactulose and senakot for 2 weeks now. She tells me that poos don't hurt but is absolutely adamant that she doesn't want to do one. All this started a few months ago after potty training and she seems to have become more and more obsessed with pooing in general and talks about it all the time to anyone who will listen. I fear that me and dh have instilled some kind of overimportance on the ability to poo easily and now she is so anxious about it she avoids it altogether. I am completely at a loss as she has a good varied diet and adores dried apricots!There is no lack of fibre, the poos are soft now (if enormous!) and I can only think they hurt like hell. I am pretty desperate as it is starting to affect family life- outings, preschool etc. Should I put her back in nappies and start again?

rogan2001 Tue 05-Apr-05 22:07:16

verytired, did having a enema put your son off pooing even more because it was so painfull for him, or is he pooing ok now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: