Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

11 month old won't hold his beaker or bottle - is this bad?

(15 Posts)
Joshuasmum Thu 31-Mar-05 21:54:57

I don't tend to fuss about what my DS does or doesn't do, but yesterday I saw a 7 month old holding and swigging away at his bottle and I suddenly got concerned. DS is perfectly capable of holding it - just doesn't seem to want to. The minute he finishes drinking he has a good play with said bottle or cup but won't take it into his own hands to help himself. Should I be worried?

hewlettsdaughter Thu 31-Mar-05 21:59:17

I wouldn't be

Katemum Thu 31-Mar-05 22:01:56

No, dont think so. Has a mind of his own and knows how to make his mummy work for a living. My 10 month old is the same, perfectly capable of holding her bottle, just decided she doesnt want to!

starlover Thu 31-Mar-05 22:04:05

I am sure he would hold it soon enough if you didn't!

Think katemum is right... who wants to hold stuff when mummy can do it for them!

(these are the kids that go far btw... the ones who know how to delegate! LOL)He is very advanced for his 7 weeks!

starlover Thu 31-Mar-05 22:04:39

ignore the "he is very advanced for his 7 weeks" bit... i accidently copied and pasted it!!!

handlemecarefully Thu 31-Mar-05 22:25:51

NO!

Honestly don't worry sweetie. My ds doesn't hold his bottle at 11.5 months, but dd held hers from about 9 months. But I am chilled about his development - he is advanced compared to her on some things and 'behind' on others. All babies are different.

Tommy Thu 31-Mar-05 22:56:19

I have photos of my DS1 drinking from his bottle like a lamb (i.e. him standing up but someone else holding the bottle) when he was about 17m - I used to get mortified but fortunately he grew out of it!!

Tommy Thu 31-Mar-05 22:57:03

not a bottle - a beaker - just before you all think he still had a bottle at 17m

handlemecarefully Thu 31-Mar-05 23:00:01

Lol Tommy - am picturing that image. Bless!

polly28 Thu 31-Mar-05 23:54:48

my ds demanded his bottle was held for him until he was about 2!

yes he still has bottle and he's 2.5 now,he won't drink milk out of anything else.

chipmonkey Fri 01-Apr-05 00:07:56

dh and I got ver excited when ds1, aged 12 months held his bottle and stood up AT THE SAME TIME!

80sMum Fri 01-Apr-05 00:31:10

I've always thought that if a child is old enough to be able to hold their own bottle then they're really too old to be having one! Personally, I can't bear to see children with bottles (or dummies come to that!). Just me being old-fashioned and prejudiced, I guess. No offence intended to anyone.

bobbybob Fri 01-Apr-05 03:17:20

My ds couldn't handle this (or didn't want to, I'll never know which) until his first birthday.

No cause for concern.

Tommy Fri 01-Apr-05 17:27:08

Thanks for that polly - you've made me feel better now!!!

Rarrie Fri 01-Apr-05 18:08:11

My daughter still doesn't want to at 16 months! If she can get me to hold it she will! There's nothing wrong with them - just laziness! Lol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now