Talk

Advanced search

No teeth at 16 months

(10 Posts)
ck1 Mon 28-Mar-05 23:00:31

My son is 16 months old and still has no teeth.

I understand that this is not uncommon, but would like to know if there is anyone else who has been in the same situation.

Also, what are the signs of teething that come just before a tooth erupts? Are they any different to the usual dribbling, chewing, bad nappies, irritability, etc?

I am hoping they come through soon as the HV says that if there is still nothing by 18months, then the dentist would cut his gums. This sounds a bit barbaric to me - has anyone else's LO had this procedure done?

Claire and gummy Toby

Aero Mon 28-Mar-05 23:07:34

Oh bless him. I do hope they come soon as treatment does sound harsh. Not much help, but a child I used to look after in my nannying days first tooth came through at 16mths, so you're right, it's not uncommon. As far as I remember, the signs were much the same - red cheeks, bad nappies (does anyone know why they get bad nappies when teething?), dribbling etc.

jasper Mon 28-Mar-05 23:22:05

bollocks bollocks bollocks!!!! I am a dentist and have NEVER heard of cutting gums in this day and age. Either your hv should be struck off or I should! I have NEVER recommended this for my young patients or seen it done .

16m is late for not having a first tooth but I have seen babies much older cutting their first tooth.So what? In the extremely unlikely event he has teeth missing there is nothing you can do about it anyway. (don't even waste a moment worrying about this)

IMO books giving tooth eruption dates should be burned en masse. I have never seen hair eruption dates or nail growth dates given in charts so why teeth?

Aero Tue 29-Mar-05 14:01:31

Thank heavens for that! Hear hear Jasper!

ck1 Wed 30-Mar-05 22:08:06

Jasper - thanks!!!! I'm so glad that it seems the barbaric gums-cutting is a load of rubbish!

I always worried about my HV's knowledge and how up to date it is.

I can see my son's top teeth "through" the gums, so I know they are there - it's just they are taking their time.

Claire and a very relieved Toby!

nightowl Wed 30-Mar-05 22:29:36

dd didnt get her first tooth until 13 months. shes now 14 months and has six! ive realised over the last week that every time she goes snotty and refuses to eat another tooth pops through! (she still has no hair though!)

ck1 Fri 22-Apr-05 19:58:53

Hi all - thanks for the advice - just to say that ds got his first tooth a couple of days ago at 16.5 months!

Claire

ck1 Sat 23-Apr-05 19:10:29

I have to say though, pleased as I am about the tooth, I have no idea what I should be doing.

I've blissfully ignored all the teething and cleaning information that's come my way for the past year or more!

Does anyone have any hints, tips, advice?

I am cleaning twice a day with just a smear of childrens toothpaste. He's taken to it OK and isn't chewing too much.

tiffini Sat 23-Apr-05 19:15:38

My DS did'nt get his first tooth till he was 12 months, he is now just turned 4 and the last 2 of his back teeth have just come through

tiffini Sat 23-Apr-05 19:21:49

oops sorry, thought this thread started today, just read your son now has a tooth, and yes you are doing the right thing. My twins are 16 months and i let them play with their toothbrushes in the bath, and let them watch me brush my teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now