Talk

Advanced search

Help with ? colic please!!

(9 Posts)
karma Sun 27-Mar-05 19:42:39

I have a five week old baby boy who over the last few weeks has been increasingingly troubled with what I presume is colic (he is my second child and I remember it well from before).
Basically he goes very red in the face, grimaces, moves his legs frantically and starts squealing. This can happen any time of day or night for varying lengths of time, but often occurs during feeding, around five or ten minutes into it. I usually stop and wind him (with varying success rates) and then try again, but he then starts pulling on and off the breast and getting very aggitated. I don't know whether he's telling me he's had enough or is desperate for more but is unable to feed because of the pain. He seems reasonably settled once these bouts have finished, and is gaining weight but it's horrible to witness and has made me start dreading feed times especially.
Has anyone got any similar experience? What worked for you? I'm trying Co-lief but haven't noticed any improvement.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks.

sahara Sun 27-Mar-05 20:03:54

How long have you been trying co-lief? as it did work for me. Have you tried changing his milk.
My HV says first you change milk going through the different brands, then Co-lief as it has been known to work. Then getting a special milk from the doctors on prescription for lactose intolerant babies.
Hope he gets better, I remember dd at that age and I thought I was going to go nuts as she was always uncomfortable.
Remember it is rare for a baby to have colic past the age of 6 months.
Good luck

bensmum3 Sun 27-Mar-05 20:10:22

Karma,I don't want to worry you, but I'd suggesst get him checked out at the Dr's as there is an abdominal condition that affects boys, I think you're ds wouldn't be putting on weight if he had it, but a bit of support won't go amiss, even if it's colic.

bensmum3 Sun 27-Mar-05 20:12:37

I forgot to say I know about this because ds used to projectile vomit after breast feeding, and we found out eventually he was lactose intolerant.

helsi Sun 27-Mar-05 20:14:50

We used the brand Dentinox for dd. they make a liquid that is cheaper than Colief (didn't work for dd) and you can also addit to the bottle of milk. Available in our chemit and I thionk was also cheaper than the other stuff with the pipet - whats it called?

hewlettsdaughter Sun 27-Mar-05 20:18:09

Hi karma, congrats on your baby boy. There are a few of us on mumsnet who have had babies with colic - my ds was awful, dd (my younger child) not so bad. Have you looked at this webpage ? (the writer is a mumsnetter).

hewlettsdaughter Sun 27-Mar-05 20:19:56

I found with dd that this hold soothed her.

chipmonkey Mon 28-Mar-05 12:21:48

karma, try www.askdrsears.com, he has a good section on colic. (sorry can't do links properly!)

karma Mon 28-Mar-05 19:25:03

Thanks to you all for the advice - some excellent web sites. Think I will pop him along to the doctors for a check-up just to be on the safe side.
Cheers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now