loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nose pickers and eaters....

(15 Posts)
KerryMum Fri 19-Dec-08 17:51:31

how can I stop this in a 10 yo boy ffs?

KerryMum Fri 19-Dec-08 17:54:42

I have told him it is unhygienic and explained why.

I have told him it is nasty and kids will make fun of him.

I have tried all reasoning.

He is a picker in general btw. Always picking at something.

snigger Fri 19-Dec-08 17:55:24

Squirt actual nasties in his nostrils?

I have no idea, sorry, I'm just waiting for a solution for DSD (17) and her thumbsucking. smile

CoteDAzur Fri 19-Dec-08 17:56:09

Get a pretty girl to tell him it's disgusting?

Podrick Fri 19-Dec-08 17:56:52

Just concentrate on getting him not to do it in public!

ChristmasDisco Fri 19-Dec-08 17:58:34

I don't think you can actually stop him can you. The bigger deal you make of it, the worse it may get. Could you perhaps just tell him if he really has to do it could he do it in private please because it makes you retch and really he should be embarrassed. Perhaps if he sticks to this, you may forget he actually does it and then won't be stressed.

KerryMum Fri 19-Dec-08 18:00:50

it's not even the picking that makes me wretch, it's the eating. ffs. it is so gross.

And he does himself no favors in school if he does that. I can imagine the other kids giving him a hard time and who could blame them?

lol @ cote. worth a try. now I just have to find one (all-boys school)

Lizum Fri 19-Dec-08 18:19:36

Hate to admit it but I still do this myself. Its a compulsion/bad habit that I can't break. blush
Eating it is better than wiping it all over the place. grin

GrimmaTheNome Fri 19-Dec-08 18:21:33

I expect the other kids mostly do it too.

ChristmasDisco Fri 19-Dec-08 18:27:04

You are a very brave person Lizum to admit this. I'm off to put my head down the toilet, thats gross.

CoteDAzur Fri 19-Dec-08 18:32:03

I was serious. I used to bite my nails around that age, and nothing my parents did or said changed anything. Then one day a cute guy looked at my hands and said "Yuck! What happened to your hands? They look disgusting!". I haven't done it since.

At that age, kids care much more for what opposite sex thinks than what their parents think, ime.

petetong Fri 19-Dec-08 18:40:57

My ds is 11 and still does it occassionally in company, but only when he is off in a world of his own. I am horrified that he does it especially when he was younger and I have been to assemblies and watched him proudly until the minute the finger goes up his nose and then in his mouth in full view of others. Boy did I have something to say to him after that.

KerryMum Fri 19-Dec-08 18:50:39

and did he stop when you said something to him?

deckthegirlandboywithholly Fri 19-Dec-08 18:51:29

I cannot understand how anyone can do this! It's absolutely disgusting......makes me want to hurl.

I've seen middle aged men in cars do this, while stuck in traffic jams etc. Yuck [need a disgusted face emoticon]

Lizum - how can you bear the taste and texture. Actually, wtf does it taste like?

OP - can you tell your ds that there is masses of bacteria in it, and if he eats much more then he will be really ill! Have you got a microscope to show him the nasties in it!?!?!?!

petetong Fri 19-Dec-08 18:57:03

No, absolutely not. I don't think he is even aware that he is doing it sometimes. He started secondary in september and I am fairly sure that he doesn't do it at school any more but sometimes I turn round and catch him doing it at home. I have been telling him it is revolting for as long as I can remember, but, like I say, he seems to have really scaled it down since he has been at secondary so I'm thinking maybe some of his friends have told him how horrible it is. Hang in there, it seems like a word from a friend is probably more effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now