Talk

Advanced search

walking - how much longer?

(10 Posts)
anchovies Wed 23-Mar-05 08:59:29

My DS took his first steps at 12 months and is now walking between furniture at 14 months but is still a bit unsteady. Just wondering if there is a general rule as to how long it will be before he is walking properly?

anchovies Wed 23-Mar-05 09:57:50

Anyone?

clary Wed 23-Mar-05 10:47:11

anchovies I wonder what you mean by first steps at 12 mo? Do you mean he was unaided? (in which case I wd expect him to be further on than cruising now). Or do you mean that was when he first got on his feet and stepped with a walker etc?
If that latter, time from cruising to walking seems to vary tbh. My ds2 (most recent effort) was pulling up on the sofa at 6-7 mo (he was very early, but it gives you an idea of timescale) and standing along by 8 mo; he was cruising around that time, it was christmas, and we kept thinkign he would take his 1st unaided steps on eg christmas day, new years day etc. In fact it was Jan 15 (sorry to be so sad as to remember, it was last yr too!)so about a month from cruising to walkign for him.
DS1 took longer tho I am sure, but then he was a later and slower walker.
hth

blossom2 Wed 23-Mar-05 11:04:12

DD took about was walking at 10 months and then it was a good month before she was a confident walker. then there was no stopping her - still isn't!!

throckenholt Wed 23-Mar-05 11:19:03

will probably be walking confidently within a month or two - you will suddenly realise one day he has been walking well for ages and you didn't notice when it happened

anchovies Wed 23-Mar-05 11:50:03

He took his first unaided steps (ie let go of something and walked to me) at 12 months but 2 months on he's not got much further, just attempts longer distances. Still cant stand unaided for very long and holds on wherever possible. It's driving me mad as we have to walk everywhere with him hanging onto our trousers!

throckenholt Wed 23-Mar-05 12:06:24

it is all down to confidence now. My DS wanted to hold our hands for ages - took him a long time (couple of months) to get confidence to go it alone.

Have you got a push along trolly ? That really helped mine, but make sure it doesn't go too fast. Wooden ones are better to begin with because they are heavier and less easy to pull over.

clary Wed 23-Mar-05 13:18:14

Anchovies, sorry I misunderstood you. ignore my last remarks which were not helpful. I guess what you want to know in my example is how long it took ds2 from his first unaided steps (jan 15) to walking confidently. We got him his first shoes that Feb half term and he was very confident by then, so about 4-5 weeks for him. but as I say he is very good on gross motor (he wasn’t 1 until the april). I would certainly expect yr ds to be getting more confident, but he is still well within the “normal” perameters for walking (10-20 mths, average 15 mths) so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Children vary so much; ds2 stood before he walked, but ds1 could walk before he could stand up in the middle of the room. If he fell, (sorry, make that when he fell!) he had to crawl to the nearest sofa to pull up!

Rarrie Wed 23-Mar-05 15:40:11

I thought my DD was going in for the record! She took her first steps at 11 months, but wasn't fully walking till 14 months... again it was a confidence thing. Just give it time!

KathH Wed 23-Mar-05 15:50:22

dd2 made no effort to walk till she was 14 mths but mastered it in couple of days - i remember distinctly because England were playing France in 5 nations and whilst i was screaming excitedly that she could walk, all my dad was saying was "get her out of the way of the tv", dd1 took her first steps in a pub of her first birthday but wasnt very confident till she was about 13/14 mths.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: