Talk

Advanced search

A cheery thread about how much we mums really know

(9 Posts)
bobbybob Wed 23-Mar-05 04:34:20

Bob went to the University today to show the trainee doctors what a 2 year old looks like.

6 year 5 doctors, 4 kids, 3 mums and one professor all in one tiny room - nice.

The session was about normal development and what to look for and expect. The prof. kept asking questions and some the students didn't answer any questions.

BUT I knew all the answers and had to bite my tongue not to answer them. It's amazing what you pick up on the job.

I almost suggested Mumsnet to them.

flamesparrow Wed 23-Mar-05 07:56:30

Tis a little worrying that the doctors didn't know the answers though!! The last one I saw was useless - she has no children, I know my child. So when I tell her that her hands and lips are blue, I kinda expect her to believe me rather than saying they look ok to her!!!!

I think all mummies should have a little qualification, so that if we apply for jobs, our mummyhood counts!

bobbybob Wed 23-Mar-05 09:40:47

They don't become doctors until next year though, and this is right at the start of term. I think Jimjams has an analogy about being trained to find zebras or something, which would explain why they were freaked out at looking at perfectly normal children, doing perfectly normal things.

Jimjams Wed 23-Mar-05 10:01:02

Not sure that' my analogy (don't remember making it) but I like it!

hey I'm freaked out watching normally developing children doing normal things.

emkana Wed 23-Mar-05 10:02:51

So what kind of questions did he ask? Am very curious

Tinker Wed 23-Mar-05 10:04:03

Infant teachers used to get credit for years staying at home looking after children, don't know if this still happens.

mummytosteven Wed 23-Mar-05 10:06:19

whilst trainee midwives don't get paid maternity leave. madness!

moondog Wed 23-Mar-05 10:09:58

Well, we need to self publicise!!
So..next time you update your CV, mention your home/family management experience, and how it relates to the job in mind!

bobbybob Wed 23-Mar-05 18:39:45

JimJams, I have a tendency to attribute any great quote to you. Who the heck said the zebra thing? -maybe I read it in a book.

Emkana He just asked questions like "What 4 areas should we think about when looking at a child? "

Gross Motor, Fine Motor, Social, Whatever the posh name for all the ears and eyes doing what they should is.

This would explain why when Bob was in Paediatric A&E bright red and floppy at 10 months, they were asking me about whether he could crawl. At least now I can say "Yes he's meeting his milestones in all four areas now, would you like me to tick all the boxes while you please save his life?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now