Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 year old ds bitiing nails all the time...how best to stop it?

(5 Posts)
pepsi Tue 22-Mar-05 21:51:44

Trying not to make a big deal of this one but how do I stop him from biting his nails. Is also wetting himself a lot lately, started new school in January and its mostly started fromm there although we have always had to do a lot of remindinig on the wee front. The nail biting is definately a new thing. He is also chewing pencils and stuff at school which is new. Im sure he is anxious about school life in somme way although he doesnt tell me he is and is happy going to school and when he comes out.

lavenderrr Tue 22-Mar-05 21:56:16

sorry pepsi but have done the biting nails thing for 35 years and it's not because of nerves, it's because it's a habit, like smoking, some thimgs you have to live with

jangly Tue 22-Mar-05 22:04:02

I think you have to accept that some people are always going to be more "up-tight" personalities than others (said she, sitting here chewing her lips!) But, having said that, I think all you can do is try to make sure they are as stress free and happy in their everyday life as possible. Its difficult with a boy - you can't let them wear very pale pink nail varnish to encourage them!

KarenThirl Wed 23-Mar-05 08:00:43

Mine bites his nails too. I tried using that paint-on stuff last year but he just licked it off (sigh). Since I stopped making a big deal of it he seems to do it less, but still does occasionally when he's concentrating or upset about something. Some people just do this sort of thing, so maybe you'll have to accept it as part of his personality, however irritating it might be!

Karen, who bit hers till she was 28!

TokenBloke Wed 23-Mar-05 16:43:20

how about clear nail varnish?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now