Talk

Advanced search

Baby too big!!!

(14 Posts)
SBailey Tue 22-Mar-05 13:58:30

Sorry this is soooooo long - just need to have a bit of a rant!

Took my 8 month old DS to the baby clinic this morning to get weighed and once again they were concerned about his weight-gain. Since being born he hasn't gradually put weight on he's jumped and jumped up through the centiles.

The lady who spoke to me is sending my HV to see me and I need to keep a food diary. She lectured me about how because obesity in children is on the increase all of the following could happen to them - strokes, heart disease, heart attacks, diabetes, bullying in school, mental health problems .

He's not talking or walking but they've got him being bullied in school already. He is a chubby baby but he's also very long. Looking back at my baby photo's I was massive compared to him and a chubby toddler but by school-age I was as thin as a rake.

He drinks 18oz of formula a day, has Cow and Gate or Heinz cereals mixed with boiling water for breakfast, lunch and dinner and maybe a rice cake for a snack if he's grouchy between meals.

I don't think I'm being over-sensitive, I think they're being a bit OTT.

colditzmum Tue 22-Mar-05 14:00:12

They are being completely over the top in my opinion, and if I were you I wouldn't take him again.

mummytosteven Tue 22-Mar-05 14:03:47

i think they are being a bit OTT. My little guy has leaped up the centiles since he was 6 months old, and is pretty tall as well. Doesn't sound like an unreasonable amount of food to me.

misdee Tue 22-Mar-05 14:06:54

i was told that dd2 was too 'fat' at just over a year old. she is very heavey still (40lb at 2.5yrs old) but is also very tall for her age. she is actually off the centile for her height and weight.

tell the HV to go jump.

lunavix Tue 22-Mar-05 14:09:56

They did this to me too.

At 11 months ds is over 24lb (not sure how much) which puts him at about 98 on the centiles. They all go "How much are you feeding him???????" To which I say, some fruit/veg and 18oz milk.

One - and only one - has bothered measuring his height - and it's on the 99 centile.

dinosaur Tue 22-Mar-05 14:12:45

My DS2 has always been on the 90-something centile for weight, even when he was exclusively breast-fed. At the age of three and three quarters he's clearly going to be a big (and tall) boy but I wouldn't say he was obese.

The only thing I would say is that it is perhaps not ideal to give your DS cereals for all three meals?

suzywong Tue 22-Mar-05 14:14:25

same here about big chunky boys, ds1 still has some rolls on his tummy I notice when he's in the bath and I am trying to cut down on his calorie intake but he's very active and a solid nugget

Ds2 is a runt by comparison

colditzmum Tue 22-Mar-05 14:18:23

My brother was as fat as a pig when he was one, now he is a rake, and my mum has always let him eat as much or little as he wants. Fat baby does not immediatly follow to fat adult. I was a rake but you wouldn't believe it to see me now

Amanda3266 Tue 22-Mar-05 14:23:45

Hi there,

I'm a HV too and I think their being a bit OTT. My DS did exactly the same - started at about the 50th centile and then just jumped through them until he was above the 99.8th. He started to lose it as soon as he was crawling - I'm sure your DS will be the same. Doesn't sound as though he's having too much food either. How horrible that they lectured you - I agree - I wouldn't go again. What's the HV herself like? If she's reasonable it might be worth asking to see her in future - if you feel the need to get him weighed again.
Basically - if you feel he's fine then he probably is. Most parents quickly pick up a problem (and certainly before HVs/Health care assistants etc)IMO. If you think he's fine then he is. Don't worry and if you would rather not see the HV then you don't have to - just say you'll call her if you need her.

Mandy

slug Tue 22-Mar-05 14:54:51

If it's any consolation my friend's son once had the distiction of being 'officially' New Zealand's heaviest infant. He was, I might add, entirely breastfed. Now aged 20 he is 6 foot 3 and perfectly in proportion for his size.

silvera Tue 22-Mar-05 19:28:10

I had the opposite today, my 5m old has dropped to the 25th centile from 75th in just 3 weeks, v.worried as he is on the 99th in height he seems to be eating loads, I think it must be because he's so active, my older ones lost weight when they began to walk, so I'm sure your DS will too.

Nemo1977 Tue 22-Mar-05 19:31:43

aww i wouldnt worry and leave them to it. I took my ds to be weighed a couple of months ago at 15mths and was told he is underweight. As MTS can vouch for there is no way he is, just that he is active and he is also tall for his age but they were saying that as he was big at birth [9lb1]he should weigh more....i just havent taken him back since

LIZS Tue 22-Mar-05 19:32:30

All this presupposes that the baby is being weighed on the same scales and has not just been fed/changed at any one of the weighings to skew the trend.

Silvera, both mine tailed off at 4/5 months and put on very litle at all towards the end of the first year as they crawled/walked.

mummytosteven Tue 22-Mar-05 19:42:40

Nemo - there's been posts on here before about just coz a baby is born up on a high centile, that's not where he belongs weightwise IYSWIM, so at some point there weight may drift down to where they belong.

and yep, he's fine, not too skinny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now