Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

She calls DH..... 'Mummy'!

(18 Posts)
HandbagAddiction Tue 22-Mar-05 09:27:25

Just interested to know if anyone else has this. DD is 18 months old and has been using 'mummy' for ages now. Funny thing is, she refers to both me and dh as 'Mummy'. Her understanding is good so if I ask her where 'daddy' is, she will point to dh, if I ask her where 'Mummy' is, she will point to me and if I ask her where she is, she will point to herself.

However, if dh is coming into the house and I ask her who's coming, she will shout 'Mummy'!! She will also follow both me and dh around the house shouting 'mummy' whenever she wants something.

I'm beginning to wonder whether she will ever say 'daddy' !!

Cadbury Tue 22-Mar-05 09:30:42

My 20 month old ds still calls me, his father, and his sister "Daddy!". I'm only recently Mummy too but his sister has only ever been Daddy. For a while the only member of our family who got a name to himself was Papa. We figured that "Daddy" meant "person I like" and Mummy (when he uses the word) means "person I need cos I'm tired or hungry or sad".

Chandra Tue 22-Mar-05 09:38:10

At that age the only name DS always got correctly was the name of the dog (I guess we repeat the DDog don't do that far more than our names). Anyways, when I was writing my dissertation and Dh was doing a lot of childminding he became Mama. However I have noticed that now, at 25m every men is daddy but DH is Papa (supose most men DS sees are his nursery friends' dads, and we don't use daddy at home). It's a bit embarrasing sometimes as DS is a very affectionate little boy, the other day we went to Eureka and he run to a man, hug one of the man legs and said: DAAAADDY!!!

Catbert Tue 22-Mar-05 09:43:25

I remember when DD1 was babbling at 12 months, and noises like DADADADAD would mean she was happy, and a more subued MaMaMa would mean sad or irratable. Hence I didn't like to add any meaning to those "words"

flamesparrow Tue 22-Mar-05 09:45:01

DD (22 months) calls pretty much everyone Mummy.

She will use Daddy if Mummy isn't getting a reaction from him, but apart from that the world is her mummy.

The only one with a name is her uncle DiDon (who appears to be god in her eyes)

swedishmum Tue 22-Mar-05 10:01:00

dd is 14 months and manages mama, dada, odidia (big sis's name), bubba (brother) and cat. However although she could say dd2's name a couple of months ago she's stopped. I feel so sorry for dd who adores her little sis (she's 9) - she says she doesn't mind but I can see how hurt she looks.

Wallace Wed 23-Mar-05 21:27:10

Catbert - that is exactly what i noticed with my two. Dadadad was a happy noise, Mumumumum a grumpy noise!

cori Wed 23-Mar-05 21:31:11

DS used call every one he liked mummy.
Even the childminder was mummy for a while.

HandbagAddiction Thu 24-Mar-05 09:50:52

Wallace and Catbert - I know what you mean about the noises and I agree, but she's well past that stage now.

Good to hear that others have had similar experiences....and I do like Cadbury's explanation. Looks like dh is just going to get used to it for now!

wobblyknicks Thu 24-Mar-05 09:57:50

DD, 20 months, will look at the right person if you ask her where they are, but still calls everyone 'mama'. If I say where's grandad, or auntie XXX or anyone, she'll point to them and say 'mama'. Very funny but hoping she learns some new names soon!!

MrsWood Thu 24-Mar-05 11:18:19

My 20 month old daughter also calls hubby "mummy" although when we say "Where is daddy?" she points to him. What's strange is that it only started recently - before that she called him "daddy" all the time! She also knows who everyone else is i.e "nanna" for grandma, "teddy" for her conforter teddy and "vavu" for our 2 dogs. I guess it's just a faze, wouldn't worry too much

Marina Thu 24-Mar-05 11:24:12

We have the all-purpose word of endearment "daddeh" for dh, me, dbrother, HandbagAddiction. Dd has also started the charming habit of addressing any tall dark-haired men with glasses and "distinguished" greying temples as "daddy" when we are out and about. Like yours, our dd understands the difference and will correctly point or run over laughing when asked.
At the moment all parts of the body are "eye", except for "knee". But again, if you ask her to point to chin, botty, tummy etc, she will get it right.

justamom Thu 24-Mar-05 15:10:01

21 month ds still calls mummy whenever he needs anything no matter whom he is talking to because if they don't get he know mummy will come and get it.... sucker!!

motherinferior Thu 24-Mar-05 15:11:21

DD2 has only just stopped calling both parents 'mum-MARR'.

I still remember dd1 at around the same age saying Daddy at the telly, when seeing....

^Saddam Hussein^.

PsychoFlame Thu 24-Mar-05 15:13:12

A friends son called his daddy up for a good year, because that was all he heard his mummy say......UP!!! LOL

Marina Thu 24-Mar-05 16:35:39

Saddam Hussein MI?

motherinferior Thu 24-Mar-05 16:57:02

Yes, I know.

She had a bit of a thing for short dark blokes, for obvious if Freudian reasons. I once took her to a tapas bar at about 18 months, and she simpered and fluttered and tossed her blonde curls in a way that frankly made me gag.

Marina Thu 24-Mar-05 17:20:08

Oh that sounds familiar. Dd wriggles like a little smirking puppy whenever she spots dh. She has taken to hammering on the front door to be let out to meet him, very cute if it weren't for the fact that boring old multi-tasking mama has dinner on the stove as well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now