Talk

Advanced search

"I can't tie my shoe laces"

(14 Posts)
Shazzler Sat 19-Mar-05 22:44:40

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to teach my ds to tie his shoe laces? He is nearly 5. He is also left handed but not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks

lavenderrr Sat 19-Mar-05 22:46:33

that's quite young tbh, show him and if he wants to learn he will, if not let him do it when he's ready

tiffini Sat 19-Mar-05 22:47:57

i suppose it is just a case of repeatative teaching, i am left handed and tie shoelaces the same way as right handed people

soapbox Sat 19-Mar-05 22:49:07

Its an overrated skill IMHO - get him velcro shoes

HUNKERMUNKER Sat 19-Mar-05 22:52:06

You can do a rhyme-type thing:

Make a tree with the first lace loop. Then pretend the other lace is a rabbit - chase it round the tree. Then the rabbit goes down a hole (through itself), then when you pull that out, you have bunny ears (two lace loops).

Hope that makes sense

Blossomhill Sat 19-Mar-05 22:56:42

ds at over 7 yrs cannot tie his!!!

starlover Sun 20-Mar-05 09:29:23

velcro shoes are all very good... until they reach the age/shoe size when you can't get them any more and realise they still don't actually know how to do laces.

LIZS Sun 20-Mar-05 09:39:26

Agree Starlover. Every time we need to buy ds (7 this week) shoes or trainers we ask him if he wants to learn to tie laces, but he'll always say no. He has motor skill issues so it is hard to force it.

I'm not convinced how good velcro shoes are for their feet either. They don't have to fasten them very snugly whereas with laces they seem tighter and the pressure is spread over the length of the foot. My pet hate is adults and older kids with velcro shoe fastenings - why ?

Friend of mine insisted hers learnt to tie laces or had buckles rather than velcro - her elder ds could do it easily by the time he started school. I fear it is another skill being lost out of convenience.

Shazzler, if he is interested go for it.

MaryP0p1 Sun 20-Mar-05 09:40:46

My DD is 7 this week and di her first bow this week. Some do it earlier or later.

Have you tried rabbit ears?

Shazzler Mon 21-Mar-05 20:53:26

Thanks forn all the input. Wasn't sure what sort of age they learn this skill. He does pick things up quickly so will give it a go when we are not in a rush to go out!

Shazzler Mon 21-Mar-05 20:53:27

Thanks forn all the input. Wasn't sure what sort of age they learn this skill. He does pick things up quickly so will give it a go when we are not in a rush to go out!

Shazzler Mon 21-Mar-05 20:53:54

Just noticed the typo!

aloha Mon 21-Mar-05 20:56:48

I cannot imagine that velcro fastenings do any harm at all. I don't own a single pair of shoes with laces and my feet are fine!

Saker Mon 21-Mar-05 21:31:13

Agree there's no rush (I am horrified to think there is an age/size where you can't get velcro anymore - what is it? ) but if you want to try you could get him one of those skill books with the laces on the page to practise on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now