Advanced search

Help - advice/suggestions re 18 mth DS who wont stop hitting !

(3 Posts)
PinkButterfly Sat 19-Mar-05 07:57:08

Anyone have any suggestions /advice on what I should do to stop my 18 mth DS hitting.

He does it constantly - mostly just to his big brother, me and my husband whenever he is told no, something is taken from him or basically just whenever he doesnt get what he wants. He is really strong and hits us across the face and head! So far we have tried telling him "no!or "naughty" (he just laughs and hits again!)and also sent him to naughty corner (which we feel he is too young to understand and he thinks its a game). My latest tactic is to ignore but we are getting nowhere with that too (he just keeps hitting until he gets a reaction).

Any advice would be appreciated ? or do we just sit this phase out ????

Xena Sat 19-Mar-05 08:10:05

We had a similar experience with DD1 she almost always lashed out at DS (older) she got dramatically worse when DD2 was born but now seems to be fairly none existent just 3yo. We just stayed firm and I think 'a naughty spot' is a good idea my sister uses the gate in the hall and sits her DT's by it I think it is a fase and it passes

PinkButterfly Sat 19-Mar-05 08:23:15

Thanks for that.

It is just so frustrating. I feel it unfair also on my older son who is repremanded often for being too rough with his baby brother !

We have a small enclosed area on our top landing where I have been putting him and telling him that he is to go to the naughty corner but he really just thinks its a game and keeps coming into the adjacent room playing peek-a-boo at the door! He does say "bad" quite often when he is hitting so he obviously thinks he is giving you into trouble when he does it but I cant imagine where he got that from as I don't smack (I just shout alot!). It is bad enough him doing this with us at home but I am worry that if I do not curb this he might end up hitting other children when at nursery etc! I just cannot remember having any problem like this with my eldest son.

Ah the joys of motherhood - maybe its my terrible two's phase come early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now