Talk

Advanced search

bed-time books for 5 year olds

(6 Posts)
hatsoff Fri 18-Mar-05 19:49:22

just wondering at what age people started reading long books to their kids - ie reading a chapter a night of something big, rather than reading whole short stories. The latter is getting really tedious.. I have just read dd1 (nearly 5) the first chapter of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (coz it came free with some breakfast cereal) and she was very taken so was wondering whether it would be worth trying the whole thing. We've done a few medium-sized ones (something that would take about 4 or 5 nights). I know there are no rules and we'll just try and see if she enjoys it etc but interested to know other people's experience

hewlettsdaughter Fri 18-Mar-05 20:02:15

DS is 5 and this is the age we started reading chapter books to him at night. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and other Roald Dahl books have gone down well. He also likes Captain Underpants but that might just be a boy thing

kaansmum Fri 18-Mar-05 21:25:16

My DS is 4 and a half and we are reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory now. He is really enjoying it and always wants more but I tend to limit it to two or three chapters per night depending on their length. We've also done Horrid Henry Books too which have gone down very well.

I don't think you can put an age on when to start reading longer and more complex stories to your child as ultimately you have to be guided by the individual child. As long as you can engage with your child, make the story telling interesting, the child has an attention span which allows them to deal with the complexity of the story you are reading and he/she can follow and have an understandanding of the story you should be fine. You'll know if a book is not being well received because your child will probably not engage with it.

Blossomhill Fri 18-Mar-05 21:27:13

The cat in the hat are brilliant for that age

highlandmum Tue 22-Mar-05 23:42:39

My 5yr old younger of two and we have a story each before bed. 5 yr old listens to Harry Potter, loves Scooby Doo and Asterix graphic novels I read to big sis, but asks for own story about fairies or ponies. Loves Rainbow fairies books and Clever Polly and Winnie the Pooh. Why not try poems sometimes - really good for lang devt.

goreousgirl Tue 22-Mar-05 23:50:10

The Faraway Tree - HUGE hit with my now 5 year old - looking for other books so will try C&TCF - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now