Talk

Advanced search

4 month old who wants to stand all the time - bad for the legs?

(13 Posts)
IlanaK Tue 25-Nov-08 22:19:37

My 4 month old wants to be standig all the time. He has been like this for about a month now. He has no balance of course so needs to be held by the hands (or under the arms), but is holding his own weight. He is happiest when standing. I take him to a cranial osteopath and showed them and they said some babies are like this. But my mother says he will end up bow legged.

Anyone with experience of this?

potoroo Tue 25-Nov-08 22:30:02

Both of mine did this. I think as long as they are supporting their weight and you are not 'making' them do it, they will be fine.

They were both early walkers too

Woollymummy Tue 25-Nov-08 22:38:23

My DS is like that, 6 months now but has been either lying down or "standing" for months now. Hates being held on a lap, wants to be able to roll or look around on his feet, funny chap.

rolandbrowning Wed 26-Nov-08 09:39:46

My ds is the same. He is 6 months and has been standing for about 3. I looked it up and a baby can only become bow-legged due to genetic factors, or rickets, so can't be affected by standing.

IlanaK Wed 26-Nov-08 09:50:32

How early is early??? My ds1 didn't walk until 16 months and ds2 was around 13 months. Don't tell me ds3 will be walking by 9 months!!!

HSMM Wed 26-Nov-08 10:13:13

My daughter loved standing. She was useless at crawling and walked at 8 1/2 months

Divejaney Wed 26-Nov-08 11:18:10

My 3.5 month old ds loves standing too. He's been doing it since about 3 months.
I've been having the same worries as my Grandma said that they become bow legged if they do this too early but wasn't sure if this was an old wives tale or true!

JJoanne1976 Wed 26-Apr-17 02:47:56

My 4 minth old wants to stand all the time wont sit or lie and is happy standin he seems vey strong for hos age can sit by himself in high chair is this normal as my other 2 boys were nothing like this i am a new mum av other xhildren 20 and 10 so its all new again i just get very anxious and nervous and av noone to ask for advice as he is constantly movin doeant really sleep and still 3 bottles threw the night am i doin somethin wrong

Nottalotta Wed 26-Apr-17 02:54:44

One word, jumperoo! Ds1 was in his from 5 months. Not all the time obviously. He live it.

Nottalotta Wed 26-Apr-17 02:55:55

Loved it. He walked properly by 12 months. Walked holding my hands for bloody ages before then.

SuperBeagle Wed 26-Apr-17 03:04:10

Mine have done this too, but only one of them was an early walker (9 months), the others were bang on average at 12 months.

JJoanne1976 Wed 26-Apr-17 03:37:10

I put him in walker last week he didnt like it that much as he gets bored of things veru quickly constanty wants entertainin but only by me i wss considering a jumperoo but i get told im doin things too soon with him as he only 4 months but he just seems advanced and very strong with heaf and legs i just feel like im doin thingd wrong all time as they say he will get bandy legs he too young to stand on th but he does it himself if u hold him he just wants to stand

Bella1985 Wed 26-Apr-17 08:29:46

My 4 month old DS is exactly the same. He's been using a jumperoo for 3 weeks - he loves it. I'm also parenoid about doing things too soon so limit his use in there to 1 hour a day, spread across the day in short bursts. When on my lap he stiffens his body to pull himself up to standing.

On the one hand I'm worried about damage, but on the other hand, he's a strong boy and is instigating this all by himself, I wouldn't hold back his speech if he started early so why am I holding back his physical development? Have 16 week appointment today so will ask HV about it.

He sat in a highchair in a cafe yesterday for the 1st time! I was worried about it, but he was sitting perfectly fine and straight so I hope it's ok this early on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now