Advanced search

baby veins in eyes?

(10 Posts)
LeonieD Fri 21-Nov-08 12:44:41

Message withdrawn

OP’s posts: |
ummadam Fri 21-Nov-08 13:59:32

Hi Leonie,

Without seeing her I'm not sure why one of your daughter's blood vessels in each eye are bigger but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about at all. It is definately nothing to do with retinal haemorrhages (the retina is at the back of the eye and can't be seen unless you look through the pupil with a special light) and I can see no reason why it should affect her vision. The vessels noticable on the white of the eye are usually scleral blood vessels and when a lot of them are big and inflammed you get a red eye. I can't explain why only one is but I suspect it will turn out to be just one of those things and will get less noticable as she grows.

Ask your GP to have a look at her 8 week check but don't panic as it doesn't sound worrying.

LeonieD Fri 21-Nov-08 14:24:08

Message withdrawn

monkeymonkeymonkey Fri 21-Nov-08 14:48:20

Leonie

The fact that you cant find anything on this on the internet is probably reassuring, as you would expect there to be something there is this was a well recognised sign of something, IYSWIM.
I cant see how you could have done anything to cause this.
Mention it at the 8 week check, just to be sure though. Hopefully they will be able to reassure you. smile

ummadam Fri 21-Nov-08 14:58:59

I'm not an eye doctor (just a jobbing jack of all trades wink) but the sclera of babies will be a bit thinner as is their skin - everything in proportion and all that From birth until about 3 months old my son had a very obvious vessel on the bridge of his nose that looked like he had a line drawn in felt pen! You can't see it at all now

Google won't find you the answer for this one I'm afraid - but no, you didn't cause it and I'm sure she is fine

Do you have your own check-up booked? as you pointed out, anxiety can be a feature of PND and it is a good idea to chat to your GP. It is also very normal to have irrational seeming worries about your children - it is what makes us human - and parents! It is only a problem if you find it is out of control or stops you doing things.

LeonieD Fri 21-Nov-08 16:12:52

Message withdrawn

LeonieD Fri 21-Nov-08 16:29:13

Message withdrawn

ummadam Fri 21-Nov-08 16:38:20

Sounds like you need to go back and have a chat with someone friendly please do - I wouldn't mind if I was your dr sometimes just a chat can help but either way it is a good way to start. It sounds like you are a very caring mum with a lot on your plate, take care of yourself.x

LeonieD Fri 21-Nov-08 16:46:51

Message withdrawn

Mrsjmp Fri 12-Jan-18 22:54:14

Did you ever find out a cause for this. My 5 month old son keeps at least one prominent vessel in one eye a lot and small ones on the other. I've never found anything that relates to his situation as it does not seem to correspond to anything. He occasionally nurses too much and pukes from being too full I'm guessing. He never strains when pooping that I can tell so it's a mystery. His pediatrician has checked it And so has his physical therapist at tortacollis therapy. No concerns from them it's just odd to me because my daughter never had these

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in