Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How old to sit up?

(12 Posts)
hamster Wed 16-Mar-05 16:11:22

How old is normal fo sitting up?
My ds is 7 months, he is rolling all over the place, and loves to be held in a standing up position, but for some reason when it comes to sitting he doesn't want to know. He just kicks out and lies down, or leans back. I've tried putting cusions around him.

MrsWood Wed 16-Mar-05 16:13:26

My daughter sat up at around 6 months - but all kids do it at different times. Kids usually walk at around 13-15 months, but there were parents here with kids who walked at 7 months! Babies are very unique and unpredictable

mummytosteven Wed 16-Mar-05 16:14:17

Probably around 8 months. Mine sat up just before 9 months.

jackeroo Wed 16-Mar-05 16:14:18

it took my ds ages to want to sit up hamster... he's now 9 months and only just starting to do it willingly (usually when he's distracted like watching a DVD or something). i think it's like crawling and walking - a wide variation and nothing to worry about at 7 months...

expatinscotland Wed 16-Mar-05 16:17:59

Mine sat up at about 8.5 months.

Bozza Wed 16-Mar-05 16:49:44

DS 6 months
DD 5 months
And there they remained or in DD's case remain.
DS didn't crawl but cruised from 10 months.
DD was 10 months yesterday and is just starting to cruise. Can also pull herself up but really very little independent movement.

Gobbledigook Wed 16-Mar-05 16:59:30

Hamster - mine were all about 6 months but it's perfectly 'normal' if you like for babies to sit up on their own at 8 or 9 months so I wouldn't worry

tassis Wed 16-Mar-05 17:04:52

6 months, but I think that's on the early side. Try not to worry...

Hulababy Wed 16-Mar-05 17:07:57

DD sat at 17 weeks and loved being on her feet all the time too. However, she didn't really roll at all, and didn't crael until nearly nine months. Babies are all so dofferent and rarely follow the text books.

BadgerBadger Wed 16-Mar-05 22:20:53

DD1 sat independently at 6 months. DD2 is now 6 months and apart from mini sit ups, doesn't show much interest in sitting independently. She can move about a mile a minute on her back though! Gets exactly where she wants to go, whereas I don't recall DD1 doing this at all.

They vary so, so much I don't think there is a normal age as such.

jane313 Wed 16-Mar-05 22:34:52

Mine sat up competely independently at 8 months and I was never worried about it as thats when my baby book said was normal. I never realised people thought that was late until I started reading mumsnet. (Also at 8 months he pulled himself up and started crawling on his hands and knees; he had crawled at 6 months but just on his stomach and elbow like an sas commando)

hamster Thu 17-Mar-05 14:37:46

Nice to know he's not behind. I worry!
Books and magazine articles tend to make me think too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now