Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

6 month dd....clingy......why?

(8 Posts)
lucykatie Mon 14-Mar-05 20:55:32

our dd of 6 months has all of a sudden become really clingy.

if she is sitting nice in her bouncy chair,swing, high chair etc, and we even think about leaving the room she screams the place down, and i mean screams.

she was on the floor today and i was next to her, i stood up and she started.

its really starting to grate on me and dh and dd1.

any ideas as to why this is happening?

she gets herself in such a state too.

help me someone.

hoxtonchick Mon 14-Mar-05 20:56:53

sounds like separation anxiety to me. totally normal at this stage, if a bit irritating for you. she will get better again.

wheresmyfroggy Mon 14-Mar-05 20:57:42

Seperation anxiety tends to start around this age, dd was the same

hercules Mon 14-Mar-05 20:57:55

She realises you are a separate being and can therefore leave. She wants you.

She will grow out of it.

lucykatie Mon 14-Mar-05 21:08:51

never even heard of seperation anxiety...........whats the best thing to do?

i have tried to ignore, making sure she is safe of course, resisted from picking her up all the time it happens, but like i said she gets herself in a right state and is hard to calm down.......its heartbreaking and irritating at the same time.

lockets Mon 14-Mar-05 21:17:51

Message withdrawn

lucykatie Mon 14-Mar-05 21:22:42

lol lockets that is a classic, bedtime routine ok for the minute though....touch wood.

still doesnt help in what to do about it.....do i just leave her to cry then?

do not want a clingy dd, i love her deeply but its not good for her.

bobbybob Mon 14-Mar-05 23:19:12

she will not become clingy if you handle this phase well, children who have their needs met are less likely to be clingy.

Consider if you were genuinely frightened and everyone ignored you and pretended they couldn't hear you. Would that be likely to make you less frightened?

The best way to teach is through play, and this goes for emotional learning too.

So talk to her in advance about how you will be leaving the room soon and confidently get up to leave. Concentrate on staying relaxed. Say bye bye and wave, then disappear for a second. Come back full of cuddles and big hellos. Then do it again and again as a game. Soon she will associate you leaving with big cuddles (when you come back) and the times can get longer.

If you play a lot it may be a week to 2 weeks before you see an improvement. Remember to keep it fun, like all the other learning things you are doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now