Talk

Advanced search

What age should they know their colours

(21 Posts)
charellie Mon 14-Mar-05 20:12:31

I have 2.5 year twin dd. They know their shapes but no matter what I try they don't know their colours. When I ask what the colour is one of them will say blue no matter what colour it is.

They start nursery in a months time so i'm hoping this will help.

I just want to know if this is normal as apparently a couple of their friends know their colours

Jimjams Mon 14-Mar-05 20:15:08

normal!

thedogmother Mon 14-Mar-05 20:15:11

I think that's pretty young to be knowing colours tbh.

You know, they'll pick up their colours soon enough. Don't worry about it.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 14-Mar-05 20:16:29

dd started to get her colours right most of the time this Jan - she was 2.5 in Nov. She used to say everything was blue too, although for some reason she always used to get orange right.

So i don't think it's late, no. children are different etc etc.

helsi Mon 14-Mar-05 20:17:02

All children are diffeent - please don't worry yourself and compare them to others. My dd is 2.3 and knows her colours (even gold and silver) but she doesn't remember shapes very well. She knows circle & triangle but struggles wioth others. Kids will pick it up eventually so please try not to worry.

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 14-Mar-05 20:18:05

It's very normal - some will know at this age, and some won't - don't worry .

charellie Mon 14-Mar-05 20:19:09

It's just when I hear that others are doing so much more, I wonder if it is because I don't spend enough time with them. They love colouring but I never get the paints out as it would be too messy with 2 of them.

helsi Mon 14-Mar-05 20:20:31

don't worry - its not mess its exploration. Paint can always wipe up. Put plenty of peper down. I'm sure they would love it. hey could mix the different colours up using the primary colours.

helsi Mon 14-Mar-05 20:20:54

I mean paper = not peper!

sacha3taylor Mon 14-Mar-05 20:22:43

My dd is 3 in may and she knows all her colours but can't name any shapes, excetp a circle!

nutcracker Mon 14-Mar-05 20:24:47

Well my Ds is 2.3 and doesn't know any of his colours or shapes.

I'm not worried.......or i wasn't until i read this thread

Hulababy Mon 14-Mar-05 20:25:52

They all learn different things at different times. They are still young. I wouldn't worry about it, although have to admit that I did start a thread once (some time last year I think) asking a simialr question - out of curiousity.

Hulababy Mon 14-Mar-05 20:27:25

Here it is . There are a few responses on there so you can see how varied the learningis. DD was much younger at the time and my query was out of interest only, not being pushy or anything.

NomDePlume Mon 14-Mar-05 20:48:28

My DD is very hit & miss when it comes to colours, as a result I think she's guessing and therefore doesn;t really know them. She is 2y 7m

singersgirl Mon 14-Mar-05 23:50:27

At my DS2's 2 year check, the health visitor said it was very unusual for a 2 year old to know even one colour consistently/accurately,and I guess she saw lots of 2 year olds! Both my boys 'got' colours around 20-22 months, but neither could pedal a bike/trike till 3.5 plus (in fact don't think DS2 can do it yet, at 3 yrs 6 months).

misdee Tue 15-Mar-05 07:15:45

dd2 knows her colours, but i think that stems from having a sister a couple of years older than herself, as dd1 is always chatting to dd2 about colours. they colour in together. we also talk about colours a lot. the same with numbers (what colour is that car? how many steps are there? look at that bird and all it colours etc etc)

stripey Tue 15-Mar-05 08:16:18

I was at a friend's house yesterday and she was obsessing about her ds 2y 3m not knowing his colours. She is asking him all of the time and trying to teach him. I have no idea what a normal age to know them is. My ds2 has known pretty much every colour since approx 22mths he had a book one day and kept asking me each colour and just seemed to know them after that, he is the same with shapes even remembered oval and octagon but always gets confused on circle. As I say I just it doesn't seem unusual for me that ds knows them but obviously my friend has nothing to worry about. They are all different and have their own talents I am sure they will learn in their own time.

mamadadawahwah Tue 15-Mar-05 09:34:46

whats the worry, they will know them eventually!!

mumeeee Tue 15-Mar-05 16:29:50

Thats normal. I work in a nursery and we don't expect the 2.5 year olds to know their colours.

bundle Tue 15-Mar-05 16:31:50

this month dd2 has learned all her colours (not a pushy mum, i should add, she just came home from nursery and said blue, then quickly all the others over a period of a week. she was 22 mths eeek)

beatie Wed 16-Mar-05 10:07:57

The other day I pointed to a picture of an orange in a book and asked my dd what shape it was. She proudly proclaimed "YELLOW" So, we're clearly struggling with colours AND shapes. My dd is 27 months.

I figure she'll get it in her own time. No amount of working on it has helped so I guess she just doesn't get the concept yet. Just think of all the other things your toddler has learnt that he/she just got on their own int heir own time, without you having to work on it with them. I would not worry at all. Just keep talking about colours whenever it is appropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now