Talk

Advanced search

How old to write names?

(16 Posts)
swiperfox Sun 13-Mar-05 13:54:21

DD has just written her name all by herself for the first time - she missed out 3 letters which is not bad going as her name has 9!! She turned 3 at the end of december - is that about the time they start? Should i be encouraging little words as well?

JoolsToo Sun 13-Mar-05 13:57:42

dgs is 3 and he can write is name - granted there are only 3 letters in the short version but I still think he's a genius

madmumof4 Sun 13-Mar-05 16:53:52

I think it depends when they are interested. My dd3 who is 4 started writing her name back in December. Before this she was not interested, I think a little push from her class teacher also help lol

KarenThirl Sun 13-Mar-05 17:03:36

Most preschools will encourage a child to be able to write their first name by the time they enter reception, so around 4 sounds right.

laneydaye Sun 13-Mar-05 17:08:04

my ds could do a T at about age 2, unfortunately he refuses to do any more..... hes 4!
hope i can turn this around before he starts school in sept...

Hulababy Sun 13-Mar-05 21:22:27

My DD (2y 11m) wrote her name, for first time on her own, on my Mother's Day card: here She needs reminding of which letter order it is, but can form a recogniseable Molli (but finds the e too hard to do yet). Having her write her name like that for me (DH says it took her a good while of intense concentration, bless her) was better than present

maisystar Sun 13-Mar-05 21:45:44

hula that is v cute

ds can write hi own name, he is 4 1/2, has been able to write it for about 6 months or so. (only has 4 letters!) he is branching out in to other words like mummy, and bear. he can write my name (6 letters) on a keyboard.

mummylonglegs Sun 13-Mar-05 21:46:30

Hulababy, that's so gorgeous. I'd love that! Dd's just 2.5 and nowhere near writing though she can do some great drawings of 'faces.' What kind of age should one start to encourage or reasonably expect an interest in writing to start? I have noticed dd is more and more keen to recognise words when I'm reading stories and she recognises her name when it's written down as well as mine and dp's.

Hulababy Sun 13-Mar-05 21:52:42

DD has got gradually more and more interested over the past year. She has always loved books, and "reading" to her dollies. And she loves to look at letters and ask me what they are.

She is now recognising more and more letters - very scary tohave her in the car shouting "Look mummy, quick look....... there's a m on that shop" (passed MFI) Hmmm, thanks DD for making me nearly crash...but well done. LOL!!!

DD does writing practise at nursery - where they have the letters and words dotted out lightly, and then she will trace over them with a pen. She has done her name like that for a little while (this was first time on her own). We have some little work books at home too - at her request, I am not being pushy, but she likes to do her "work" when I am doing mine - which has similar activities in.

gingerbear Mon 14-Mar-05 12:20:17

DD can recognise her own name and some words. I have started using the dotty letters with DD to practice writing. (She is 2yrs 9 months) She can write t, i, o and m without help.
She made me laugh the other day - 'look mummy, that is where granny lives' me - 'Where darling?'
DD 'Netto'
me - fits of giggles.

Keane Mon 14-Mar-05 12:22:19

my son, just three can write his aswell - amongst other things

Think it is normal at schoolage. i am sure they dont expect them to be able to do it before

Its nursery that pushes all this writing business. My ds wasnt that bothered before he started nursery

Gwenick Mon 14-Mar-05 12:23:31

DS1 is 4 1/2yrs and can write the first letter of his name T - but not the rest of it.

laneydaye Mon 14-Mar-05 13:35:23

posted yesterday that myds couldnt write his name only the initial..... spoke to his nursery teacher this morn and she showed me proof that he can do it was gob smacked, just wont do it for his mum.xxx

LIZS Mon 14-Mar-05 13:38:56

dd's been writing hers more legibly since Christmas. She's 3 1/2. The letters she has most trouble with are s and e. ds couldn't manage quite as well at that age but could still do a passing similarity and knew which letters went in which order.

singersgirl Mon 14-Mar-05 19:13:11

DS2 is 3.5 and can't write his name. I have seen him write the first letter once and he will tell me what the other letters - 5 in total - should be. His older brother did start writing his 3-letter name around now, but always did the 'e' backwards. I think there's a huge variation in the age at which children have the interest and co-ordination to do this, iyswim. My only worry is that DS2 is a 31st August baby and will start school this September together with much older children, some of whom are probably writing essays by now!

mumeeee Thu 17-Mar-05 19:20:32

At the nursery where I work, we encorage all the pre- school children ( those who will start school in September) to write their names. We start with dots for them to write over. A couple of the 4 year olds can write their names independently. Others can copy their name. Nearly all the 3 year olds are able to do the dots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now