Talk

Advanced search

5 am starts ! heeeelp

(15 Posts)
ZoeB Sat 12-Mar-05 13:23:37

My ds is now 3 and every since birth he has woken early ready for the day. HV and Doc says he will grow out of it but when ? !! now have dd 8 months and she is staring to waken very early.Ladies have you any ideas please

pipsy1 Sat 12-Mar-05 13:26:36

There are quite a few threads going on about this at the mo Zoe. Early waking must be in the air! So far no amazing answers out there. Personally I think we are just stuck with early morning wakers til teenage years, but am always hopeful that they may change...

ZoeB Sat 12-Mar-05 13:45:11

Cant find any new threads but have just looked through some old ones andn there is some pearls of wisdom there Thanks

Pinotmum Sat 12-Mar-05 13:53:06

Please if there are any answers I need to know them - dd is 4.6 yo and is waking at 6 am and not going to bed till 8.30/9.00 pm. Is she tired, is she bleeeeepppp!!

ZoeB Sat 12-Mar-05 14:00:29

Pinotmum - offout for a while but will write what I find and post on here.

pipsy1 Sun 13-Mar-05 06:19:35

Anyone had any luck? 4am for us agoin this morning. I am SOOO tired

colditzmum Sun 13-Mar-05 06:43:51

My mum used to set an alarm clock for my brother and would not let him get up befor 6:30 am, regardless of what time he actually woke up.

pipsy1 Sun 13-Mar-05 07:15:54

But DD is only 18mths and don't think would understand that concept. I agree - we are getting a 'bunny ears' alarm clock as soon as appropriate! She doesn't even play in her cot yet, thats something I guess I really should train her to do. Might give us an extra half hour or so?

bathmummy Sun 13-Mar-05 07:32:24

Our household has at least one of us awake 24/7. DH works from home and does a lot with America - ie. works through the night and goes to bed around 5am which always wakes me. DD2 is waking a little before this but wakes me instant I hear her cry, even if DH goes to her, I am awake and find it hard to drop off again. DD2 is up and alert wanting a cuddle and chat by 6am so from around 5 (often earlier) I am awake and that is presuming DH doesn’t wake me through the night talking on the telephone with work or by moving around the house, flushing the loo etc. I am totally and utterly knackered every single morning. At least it is getting brighter outside earlier so it feels less torturous.
We have tried incentives, wall charts (with 4 year old), bunny ears clock, bedtime a little later, black out curtains, relaxation music, books by the bed to help her sit and occupy herself in bed, leaving her to settle back again, being tough, being relaxed about it.....need I go on?
I am just hoping that a) the children grow out of it with time and stop needing me so much/learn to occupy themselves and that b) DH finds more work in Europe so can work more decent hours.
Sympathise Zoe and pipsy, have no advice other than go to bed early yourselves when you can

pipsy1 Sun 13-Mar-05 07:48:20

You sound very like me bathmummy. The minute I hear a squeak I'm awake and find it very hard to go back to sleep. Also if I wake to go to the loo in the night then I lie there thinking 'its 3.30am she'll be waking soon' and then find it hard getting back to sleep before she does wake!
5am is hell but I suppose she's had 10 hours sleep so I can't complain, but 4am?? Thats still night time surely, and I can't manage all day when I get up that early. Early bed is great idea but after cooking supper, washing, ironing etc there's never a chance! Roll on teenage yrs!

lockets Sun 13-Mar-05 07:58:24

Message withdrawn

dropinthe Sun 13-Mar-05 08:28:55

Can sympathise completely-my 3 tr old Ds wakes at 5.15 every morning as does my 1 yr ds(although I could get him back to sleep if the other one wasnt shouting the house down)
Have got v angry before at oldest for doing this day after day as I feel he is old enough to understand that if he wakes up he should put his light on and read his books until everyone else wakes up. Im sure he does understand this but just wants company-its infuriating and if I get to sleep until 6am,thats a lie in for me.

fostermum Sun 13-Mar-05 08:43:40

i have a foster child who is awake at 4.30 every mornings and sings out side my bedroom door untill i get upi dont doooooooo mornings

fostermum Sun 13-Mar-05 08:44:00

he's 7yrs old

ZoeB Sun 13-Mar-05 09:27:23

Looks like there is alot of early birds out there. Nobody professional seems to have any ideas to help only if you are lucky enough to be picked for " little angels". Set the alarm clock to music this morning after sitting with Ds last night telling him heres your toys books etc if you dont hear any music you are not allowed to talk in our room it bloody well worked !! one off perhaps as ive done this before. He did chat and sing in his room but slowly slowy may do it. DD also was babbling at 5.30am nightmare

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now