Talk

Advanced search

How much can your 2 yr old say?

(9 Posts)
lollyheart Mon 03-Nov-08 16:54:38

Are the words clear?
Can they put 2 or more words together?

Marne Mon 03-Nov-08 16:55:47

Dd2 says nothing grin but she does have ASD.

Dd1 could link words together at 2.

compo Mon 03-Nov-08 16:57:39

only about 2 or 3 words togther and not always very clear. so at the moment for example she is singing 'happy birthday to you' but not very clearly

SmugColditz Mon 03-Nov-08 16:58:26

My 2.6 year old is fairly clear on about 50% of what he says (I get most of it) and he strings 4 and 5 word sentences (Mostly parroted from his older brother)!

But ds1, who is a bright child and was an early reader, didn't speak a word until 2.8 months, and didn't string a sentence at all until he was about 3.5

SmugColditz Mon 03-Nov-08 16:59:35

Ds1 could hold a pencil and draw a car at 2.6 - ds2 can't reliably hold a crayon!

Weegle Mon 03-Nov-08 17:43:23

are you worried? if so, speak to your HV or GP. The scale varies hugely as to what's normal.

lollyheart Mon 03-Nov-08 17:48:17

No not really worried just nice to know he is average.

My ds only turned 2 last week,he can say lots of words but are not very clear.

ClareVoiant Mon 03-Nov-08 17:53:22

when ds was 2, i was told '1 at 1 and 2 at 2', ds could say a few words at 2, and maybe put a couple togther, but wasn't terribly clear. we found that 'something special' on ceebeebies helped and he'd do some makaton signs as well.

fast forward a couple of months and they start tumbling out. now he's 3 we can't shut him up, back seat driver and asking 'why' at every available opportunity. smile

pinkspottywellies Mon 03-Nov-08 17:59:17

DD is 2 next week and can string five or six words together. Gets some 'my' and 'he/shes' in the wrong places. She made me laugh the other day saying 'made my jump!' in stead of 'made me jump'!

It's usually clear to most people what she's saying but some letter sounds aren't clear enough yet so car sounds like chair for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now