Talk

Advanced search

Moving to a bed at 17 months - is this a crazy idea?

(12 Posts)
snickersnack Mon 03-Nov-08 15:52:18

DS is 17 months. He’s a dreadful sleeper – I think part of the problem is he doesn’t really like his cot. He wriggles around a lot and bangs into the sides, which wakes him up – I can hear it happening over the monitor. It’s a Stokke cot, so a bit smaller/shorter than average – and he’s a long-ish child.

The last couple of nights he’s ended up on the floor of his room with one of us next to him on a roll out futon – he’s very happy with that and sleeps for ages. It’s not (I don’t think) our presence – more the fact that he can rotate to his heart’s content and get comfortable.

We moved dd to a bed just before she turned 2 – no problems, she took to it straight away – but ds is a lot younger. He doesn’t say anything – he understands everything we say to him, but he’s obviously a bit little for the whole “you’re a big boy so you have a big bed” chat.

Am I completely insane to even contemplate putting him to bed on the futon? His room is very safe- he wouldn’t get up to any mischief, plus he’s in his sleeping bag so not really able to make a break for freedom. I suppose I can always go back to the cot if it doesn’t help but just wondered if anyone had found an early move to a proper bed made a difference to the sleeping patterns.

bubblagirl Mon 03-Nov-08 16:34:57

my ds was in a bed by 19 mths and all was well limit the toys he can reach in his room and read a story uintil asleep and shopuldnt be too much of a problem lol

my friend is about to move her 14 mth old for the reason that she now has phobia of her cot

AmIWhatAndWhy Mon 03-Nov-08 16:37:39

Have you thought it could be the sleeping bag that's bothering him? I think they are great for smaller babies, but once they could stand my DC hated them.

belgo Mon 03-Nov-08 16:37:43

If you think he'll sleep better, then go for it. We moved dd1 into a bed at aged 19 months (actually a mattress on the floor), because she could climb out of her cot. It was hard work getting her to stay in her bed!

belgo Mon 03-Nov-08 16:38:34

my dd hated sleeping bags as well, she just just to take them off. Before that she would trip over trying to stand out in one.

Clayhead Mon 03-Nov-08 16:38:53

Both my dc went into beds/mattresses on the floor at 18 months and it was fine.

AMumInScotland Mon 03-Nov-08 16:43:20

Another early one here - DS was out of his cot at 15 months, as he was close to climbing out. So long as he can't get anywhere dangerous, no problem with him sleeping on a futon or a mattress, or even a bed so long as it's fairly close to the floor!

ELB1 Mon 03-Nov-08 20:17:01

No personal experience, but i can recount the story of one of my nephews when he was about this age coming to stay with us (we had no DCs then so no cot etc and his parents had no travel cot) so we put him to bed on the futon in the room his parents were staying in so felt he would be safe - he was in a sleeping bag.
Anyhoo - in the middle of the night, his Dad got up and looked across to find no sign of his son!! He looked everywhere!! No baby!! Just before he panicked - he looked in our wardrobe (to be fair it's quite a large dressing room area that is curtained off rather than has an actual door on it) and found him huddled up against one of the radiators in the corner. He had somehow caterpillared himself off the futon, across the room, through the curtains and into the corner of the dressing room!! No harm done - apart from Dad's panic in the dark, and very cute story the next day with the rest of us imagining this little boy bundled up in the corner of a dark wardrobe!!
Maybe you should just check he can't open the bedroom door - or that you have a stair gate though just in case.

Bubbaluv Mon 03-Nov-08 20:29:53

My DS (14 months) can't sleep if I put him in a sleeping bag. Gets all agitated and wriggles all over the place. Have you tried him out of the sleeping bag? DS just wears a number of layers of sleep suits to bed so I don't have to worry about him kicking off his sheets etc.

Hulababy Mon 03-Nov-08 20:34:37

DD went in a bed at 18 months. She settled in it far better than she did in a cot.

georgimama Mon 03-Nov-08 20:36:20

I abandoned grobag for Ds when he was about 15 months because he was annoying himself kicking at it. Now he has a thick fleecy suit over his babygro and seems much happier and more easily settled (touch wood). I will be putting him into a low bed at Christmas though (he will be 22 months then.

uptomyeyes Mon 03-Nov-08 20:39:44

All 3 of mine were in a bed by 15 months, DS3 at 13 months. They were much more settled especially with the Thomas Tank duvet cover and pillowcase that we used for them when they first moved. Mine all used to crack their heads against the cot bars all night, waking themselves and us up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now