loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you use the 'pasta jar' with 3YOs?

(14 Posts)
grumpyfrumpy Fri 11-Mar-05 12:46:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vigobay Fri 11-Mar-05 12:49:20

Yes, I think so. Instead of pasta I use dried beans and it seems to work with our 4 and 3 yr olds.

debs26 Fri 11-Mar-05 12:51:36

can i be a pain ans ask what pasta jar is? cant find any threads about it

SoupDragon Fri 11-Mar-05 12:51:41

DS2 understood it. You could do it with smarties or something so they understand the immediate reward/punishment of having one more or less to eat.

SoupDragon Fri 11-Mar-05 12:52:47

Take one jar, put, say, 5 pieces of pasta in it. Your child can earn extra bits or have them taken awawy and (in our house) after a week the pasta is exchanged for 10p per piece and then the jars reset at 5 pieces.

SoupDragon Fri 11-Mar-05 12:53:38

I tend to explainto my DSs that they've just lost a piece of pasta (eg for running in the school corridor or away from me in the road) but that they can earn it back for doing it right the next time.

debs26 Fri 11-Mar-05 12:54:54

wow, thats a great idea. sticker charts have stopped working cos novelty has worn off, but will try that. thanks v much

grumpyfrumpy Fri 11-Mar-05 12:57:49

SoupDragon Fri 11-Mar-05 12:58:43

It's the scope for punishment that appeals to me - the fact that they can actually lose something rather than just not have a sticker awarded.

You do have to actually work at it though and remember to do the conversion-to-treat part. We've let it slip recently and need to get back into it.

grumpyfrumpy Fri 11-Mar-05 13:00:27

GeorginaA Fri 11-Mar-05 13:15:47

I still love the idea of being able to hiss "pasta" in their ears in a public place

toomanypushchairs Fri 11-Mar-05 13:30:20

Can't remember who's thread I read about the pasta jar but it's excellent I use it with my ds7!

KarenThirl Fri 11-Mar-05 15:33:17

I use a combination of token jar and star chart, depending on the type of behaviour I'm trying to modify. Pasta doesn't work on some kids because they don't all relate it to reward (it's just another crappy food to my ds), so you might need to try something else (I like the smarties idea). We're currently using pretty sea shells - small ones for everyday successes and dirty great big ones for major achievements.

winnie Sun 13-Mar-05 17:47:49

Soupy, this seems to be the ideal place to thank you for the pasta jar idea. Read one of your posts about it a couple of weeks ago. Ds being a little so & so at the time. Have implemented the pasta jar idea and have darling little boy back (most of the time ;) ) Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now