Talk

Advanced search

Is it pretty normal for a 4 month old

(11 Posts)
inscotland Sun 02-Nov-08 10:32:20

Well, I don't mean normal because all babies are different but hopefully you know what I mean!

Anyway, he's not happy on his playmat, walker, pram on my knee in fact he gets fedup of most things very quickly so it's getting impossible just to make a cup of tea sometime! I can get away with him in the sling for a bit longer but I can't cook or iron with a sling on!

It is almost like his brain is trying to get his body to do things it is not ready for.

Hopefully this is just a another stage of his growing?

bubblagirl Sun 02-Nov-08 10:38:55

my ds was the same at that age we had a very low baby walker which we had to pad out he was very strong and big for his age anyway and he wasnt happy until he was in that roaminga round

there at a frustrating age of wanting to do so much more it will pass when walking lol

belgo Sun 02-Nov-08 10:40:29

yes sounds normal. I can't say it gets easier because it doesn't. Sorry!

barbiehouse Sun 02-Nov-08 10:46:36

mines the same - acts as though being put on any playmat/bouncy chair, etc is rejection. mines very agitated in evenings - not sure if teething??

inscotland Sun 02-Nov-08 10:50:52

He goes to bed at 6.30 so he gets particularly bad in the afternoon but yes, it is like rejection.

meandmyjoe Sun 02-Nov-08 14:09:45

It is normal for some babies to be like this, yes! Mine was always miserable when ever I wasn't carrying him around. Turns out he was just a genious grin, (ahem!). He was just very very frustrated, hated the pushchair, bouncer chair, play mat. He just wanted to be carried around and on the move.

It does get better. My little boy is now a very clever, happy 14 month old. He is fab and was just so eagre to get moving. Him crawling was a good turning point but the real change jut came with age and being able to understand the world more. He knows how to entertain himself and play now. Learning to walk helped too but he is still always on the go!!

meandmyjoe Sun 02-Nov-08 14:13:28

Meant to say, how does he nap? My ds hated napping and was so knackered by evenings he was awful to be around. Could it be why he's extra cranky in the evenings?

inscotland Sun 02-Nov-08 14:35:21

Napping is bad. The usual 3 x 45 minutes sometimes a 4th nap although today he went for 2.5 hours. Him and dad together! He always seems to go longer during the day if he sleeps with one of us and I don't mean side by side I mean cuddled right in. It doesn't work every day but may be once in every 10 days he'll take a big midday nap.

He does just over 12 hours at night though.

meandmyjoe Sun 02-Nov-08 14:44:37

My ds was just like that! Slept through very early so I was lucky but he drove me nuts in the day! I just let him nap with us, it didn't really get sorted til about 9 months though which is always when he got crawling and things started to fall into place. His concentration span improved and his independance grew. It does get better, he just sounds like he needs a lot of stimulation to take away the frustration. It was like walking tightrope with my ds, too little stimulation and he'd grizzle and cry but too much stimulation he'd meltdown due to overtiredness. It's hard! It does end though!

meandmyjoe Sun 02-Nov-08 14:47:41

DS only napped for 30 mins at a time and was so grumpy until i finally gave in and let him sleep on me at 9 months, even then, every 30 mins I had to soothe him back to sleep til I broke the habbit of rubbish naps. Just to let you know he now naps for an hour and half twice a day (although is starting to cut down to one nap a day) and settles himself at night in his cot for 11-12 hours. All that letting him sleep in my arms and rocking him to sleep had no impact on his night sleep at all.

Horton Sun 02-Nov-08 17:38:16

Hi, I know it's a month or two away, but once they can sit up you CAN cook or iron with a sling on. You can get a ring sling and sort of strap them round your back so your body is between them and anything hot/sharp/dangerous.

My daughter never napped in the day for longer than 45 minutes at this stage and would absolutely never be put down so I do sympathise. I do think it gets better, though. You just have to keep telling yourself that it will end and keep on keeping on. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: