Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help with windy baby

(12 Posts)
thisismyfirst Fri 31-Oct-08 14:10:37

She's fine during the day and then seriously windy/rasping in the evening.
Can I give her both infacol and gripe water? or can I only try one medicine at a time?
Is there a verdict on which one is the best? (infacol/ colief/ etc) or does it vary baby to baby?

Cheesesarnie Fri 31-Oct-08 14:15:25

i didntget on with any of those for my dc.but baby masage was huge help.

thisisyesterday Fri 31-Oct-08 14:16:32

actually blind studies have shown that none of it is any more effective than water. so personally I wouldn't bother.

I wonder if something in particular could be causing it in the evening? how old is she and how is she fed?

jabuti Fri 31-Oct-08 14:21:06

is she bottle fed?

and massage yes, huuuuge help.

thisismyfirst Fri 31-Oct-08 14:38:22

She's breast fed - I've got a very fast flow so she tends to gulp/choke for half of the feed which is part of the problem. She's ok in the day and then windy from 6 to midnight every night. Very frustrating.

I'm unable to get to a massage class at the moment (I'm on my own, and am awaiting some surgery). Any good websites that can show me how to do it?

filthymindedSixSixSixen Fri 31-Oct-08 14:40:18

I know it sounds obvious, but watch what you are eating. My b/f boys both reacted very badly when I had fizzy drinks, onions, grapes, cabbage, garlic or very acidic foods...it did pass though.

Star1ightExpress Fri 31-Oct-08 14:45:00

How old is she?

How do you wind her?

The best way is to sit her sideways on your knee with ther legs in between yours, with one hand on her back and one on her chest (holding her head with your fingures if it needs support.

She needs to relax and slump a little. If she wriggles and arches lie her back for a minute and then bring her into the sitting position once more. You don't need to rub, but jugging your leg can help her relax.

blackrock Fri 31-Oct-08 14:45:46

Have you got a sling? I found keeping my DS upright on my shoulder for a long time gently rubbing and patting did make a difference.

Midwife recently recommended fennel in water to a friend,for a young baby, and she felt it helped...but ask your midwife or health visitor because this is only word of mouth advice, I am not a professional!

blackrock Fri 31-Oct-08 14:47:13

Oh yes and agree totally with star and filthy. Onions in my diet were awful for my DS who was also BF.

blackrock Fri 31-Oct-08 14:48:09

Try putting fennel into your meals, this is meant to help milk flow. My DH made a jamie Oliver recipe with fennel in it when i was BF.

jabuti Sat 01-Nov-08 20:17:01

hi thisi,

what the others said, in terms of diet and how to wind her.

just a little note that babies do get windy at night because its an accumulation of the whole day.

let us know how you get on!

feelingbitbetter Sun 02-Nov-08 12:34:08

I tried gripe water (DS HATED it) which is ok as you only give it as and when required. Infacol has to be given before every feed as it as an accumulative effect (I think it coats the tum, or something). PITA.
After using both, I found neither made any difference, tho DS loved infacols orange flavour!
Cool boiled water through the day did help a bit (more than the 'remedies') but not that much either.
It seems DS is a lazy little piglet and just doesn't like burping. I think he likes to feel his belly is full - can't think where he gets it blush
Really, before you buy anything, try some water.
I also put DS belly down across my knees to wind him if he's proving very stubborn. He also gives it up if I hold him upright and take him for a walk up and down the stairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now