Talk

Advanced search

botulism threat

(11 Posts)
Millsie1 Fri 31-Oct-08 09:46:50

please help! following my mother's advice i put a bit of honey on the end of my 6 week old dd's pacifier to encourage her to take it. I now discover that honey is a massive no-no and I'm terrified. What's the genuine threat to her health and what are the symptoms if she's affected?

VictorianSqualor Fri 31-Oct-08 09:51:32

It's VERY unlikely that she will get it, it's VERY rare.
Have a read of this

Lomond Fri 31-Oct-08 09:54:14

Try not to worry just avoid it in future

symptoms here

It surprised me in my toddler group that none of the other mums knew to avoid honey for babies under 1. Don't beat yourself up about it though, you can't be expected to know everything and things were done differently in your mothers day.

Lomond Fri 31-Oct-08 09:54:31

**waves to VS!**

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 31-Oct-08 09:56:05

It's very rare- that's why it's taken so many generations of honey dipping for people to notice iyswim. Because it's very serious the advice is to avoid honey- even though the individual risk is so very low.

Read up on the symptoms (I was going to give the link VS did) and just go straight to GP or A&E and ask directly 'could this be botulism' if you get worried if your dd shows any symptoms. But it's very very unlikely.

You can get botulism from tinned food that hasn't been canned properly. It's why I'm completely anal about dented tins, although again the risk is miniscule.

Millsie1 Fri 31-Oct-08 10:11:11

thanks - she's been a bit of a challenge...reflux, terrible itchy baby acne, colic etc etc and, despite being a naturally fairly relaxed individual, the past 5 weeks have hugely affected me and I have become a massive worrier. It's really dented my confidence to encounter so many problems and I feel like I am an awful mother. Why didn't I know about the honey thing? Ugh. Very, very low.

exasperatedmummy Fri 31-Oct-08 10:30:47

No way are you a bad mother, you did something that generations of mums have done to try and comfort their child. As everyone has said the risk is miniscule, almost negligable - but a risk nevertheless. I remember being at a friends BBQ, she is a GP, i mentioned about the honey thing - she laughed at me, but then she went on to give my 8 month old a Dorrito and wondered why she nearly choked hmm, she doesn't have any children of her own.

It is natural to worry with a new baby, it would be wrong if you didn't and you do sound like you are having a hard time with reflux and colic etc. This WILL settle down.

I think you should speak to your HV, excessive worrying can be a sign of PND, it might be worth you taking the Edingburgh test just to assess if you might be suffering a bit, you don't need that on top of a colicky baby.

I only knew about the honey thing because i read it in a book that the HV give you, it was a tiny little aside in the book, otherwise i would have been as shock as you were.

Be kind to yourself, you are a wonderful mum and deep down you know that - but everyone has "im a crap mum moments".

Have a chat with your HV to get some reassurance - do you belong to any baby groups? It might help to find a group of mums who have similar worries and challenges that a new baby brings.

You are doing a great job - be kind to yourself!

Millsie1 Fri 31-Oct-08 10:52:34

thank you for kind message - i don't have a hv as i don't live in the uk...part of the problem i think. i feel so isolated and i don't understand the language. perhaps i do have a touch of pnd - there;s not a moment in the day i'm not petrified!

exasperatedmummy Fri 31-Oct-08 13:33:50

Bless you - that must be really hard to be in another country and not understand the language. Where abouts are you? Do you have a GP? Is your partner in the forces?

Might there be a comminity of English speakers where you are? Difficult to say, as i don't know where you are Just that maybe you could try and get some contact via these groups, could you look it up on web? Mumsnet is a great resource.

I have to say, if i were living in a country that i knew no one, didn't speak the lingo and had a new baby, i'd be petrified too. Have you spoken to your partner about how you are feeling?

Could you possibly enrol on a course to learn the language? Or even teach Enlish as a foreign language. A friend of mine has done this all over the world, never learnt a word of the languages she was teaching too - but managed to make lots of friends nevertheless. This could be done in the evenings where your partner is around to look after the bairn - just a thought, of course it might be totally inappropriate if you are in the foothills of the himalayas

I really admire your bottle actually - You'll be ok, remember, being anxious about your baby is very healthy, if we were all blaze about our children then i dread to think what would happen, but you mustn't let it ruin things for you.

If i were you i would start looking into finding some people to interact with. Start at the local library? Health clinic? Community centre? Even if you have to communicate by sign language to start with

Best of luck xxx

mammabelleboo Fri 31-Oct-08 13:53:00

Aah - don't worry - as posted above, risk is negligent. If it makes you feel any better, I gave my dd half a slice of toast with honey on when she started on solids - she's lived to tell the tale!! I had no idea either and didn't find out til a few weeks later. Like you, if I'd have known at the time I would have been terrified too. Being a first time mum is a nerve wracking thing. I worried about everything - I even panicked about making up formula as I was so paranoid about keeping it sterile....I spent a fortune on ready made cartons instead!!! Wouldn't be like it now - my dd is now 3 and I am much more chilled! Try and relax and enjoy it!!

meandmyjoe Sat 01-Nov-08 08:20:23

You aren't a bad mother! I didn't know about the honey thing either until ds was about 6 months old and was starting on solids. He never had a dummy so I didn't give him honey but I know lots of people who have. The risk is real but tiny as far as I have heard. it's not your fault, you followed someone's advice to try and comfort your baby. It's very hard for the first few months. I was a nervous wreck and I do feel for you. DS was very fussy, bad excema, cried a lot and I felt awful and so lacking in confidence. I did exactly the same as mammabelleboo and spent a fortune on cartons of ready made milk as I was so upset I couldn't breastfeed for long and was paranoid about keeping it sterile. Everything worried me! It does get better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now