Talk

Advanced search

Phasing out dummies

(2 Posts)
Wigglesworth Thu 30-Oct-08 13:27:23

Anyone have any good tips for phasing out dummies? I have a 14 wk old DS who doesn't nap well in the daytime and I have a feeling that his dummy is the reason. He only naps for 30-40 mins at a time and wakes up screaming after this but settles once the dummy is back in. He is better at night and only wakes 3 or 4 times, again settling after dummy is replaced.
I don't have a clue where to begin with this. I don't mind using a dummy but when it starts disturbing his sleep and I see how cranky he gets I think he'd be better off without it. I cannot take him anywhere during the day cos he screams in his pram until he is picked up, I just wish he would sleep in his pram when we go out like other babies. Am I expecting too much?

bubblagirl Thu 30-Oct-08 16:21:07

personally its a comfort thing and if it takes a dummy to get them back off i found it easier than pacing all night trying to get my ds back to sleep

but if you are going to stop dummy its best just to take it away but expect for a few days to have restless nights and probably momentsof being unable to calm as the comforter would have been taken away

they do get past it but it does take determination especially if waking in the night as will have to find another way to settle

i left my ds with his as it was easier to settle him back off at night and i got to sleep more

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now