Talk

Advanced search

Night-terrors - does anyone know what causes them?

(6 Posts)
fruitcorner Wed 29-Oct-08 22:28:51

My almost 4 year old had a "nightterror" last night and was unconsolable for about 30 mins and I wasnt sure whether she was still asleep or not. She used to have these about a year ago and I find them very disturbing ( and so do the neighbours!) - does anyone know what causes them and what I can do to calm my dd when she is having one?

bubblagirl Thu 30-Oct-08 08:00:58

read this

WideWebWitch Thu 30-Oct-08 08:02:05

My ds had this when he was about 7, they're scary aren't they? I don't think you can do anything but stay calm and wait for them to pass. She probably was asleep and bet she doesn't remember anything aobut it.

throckenholt Thu 30-Oct-08 08:06:53

DS1 was prone to them for a while - but hasn't had one for a year or two now (he is 7). It seemed more common when he was very tired.

As far as claming them down - I just had to stay with him - talk to him calmly, and stop him doing silly things. Gradually he would come out of it and then go back to sleep.

nellynaemates Thu 30-Oct-08 10:15:07

My son had a night terror very young (well it's all we could put it down to at least) and we found that taking him into a colder room in our house sort of snapped him out of it and we were able to comfort them.

It's not worth trying to wake them but a change in temperature can wake them gently (it might not work but worth a try) and then in our case at least ds was very easily settled back to sleep.

fruitcorner Thu 30-Oct-08 21:10:20

Thank you all for your posts. blubbagirl -the article was v.useful

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: