Talk

Advanced search

Night-terrors - does anyone know what causes them?

(6 Posts)
fruitcorner Wed 29-Oct-08 22:28:51

My almost 4 year old had a "nightterror" last night and was unconsolable for about 30 mins and I wasnt sure whether she was still asleep or not. She used to have these about a year ago and I find them very disturbing ( and so do the neighbours!) - does anyone know what causes them and what I can do to calm my dd when she is having one?

bubblagirl Thu 30-Oct-08 08:00:58

read this

WideWebWitch Thu 30-Oct-08 08:02:05

My ds had this when he was about 7, they're scary aren't they? I don't think you can do anything but stay calm and wait for them to pass. She probably was asleep and bet she doesn't remember anything aobut it.

throckenholt Thu 30-Oct-08 08:06:53

DS1 was prone to them for a while - but hasn't had one for a year or two now (he is 7). It seemed more common when he was very tired.

As far as claming them down - I just had to stay with him - talk to him calmly, and stop him doing silly things. Gradually he would come out of it and then go back to sleep.

nellynaemates Thu 30-Oct-08 10:15:07

My son had a night terror very young (well it's all we could put it down to at least) and we found that taking him into a colder room in our house sort of snapped him out of it and we were able to comfort them.

It's not worth trying to wake them but a change in temperature can wake them gently (it might not work but worth a try) and then in our case at least ds was very easily settled back to sleep.

fruitcorner Thu 30-Oct-08 21:10:20

Thank you all for your posts. blubbagirl -the article was v.useful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now