Talk

Advanced search

1 year old surviving on Marmite toast and bananas...please reassure me he's not going to come to any harm!

(6 Posts)
HensMum Wed 29-Oct-08 13:26:48

DS has always been a good eater but he's getting fussy. He spits out or refuses to eat most savoury foods (but still loves Marmite toast). He'll still eat fruit (especially bananas), Ready Brek and yoghurt.
We keep offering savoury food (a couple of choices if he won't have the first thing) but if that's rejected, he'll get fruit or yoghurt. Please reassure me that's the right thing to do and we're not going to do any lasting damage with him not eating a balanced diet, and excluding savoury, for a bit?
It's only been going on for a couple of weeks and DS is a big boy (over the 98th centile) so I'm not worried about his weight - just about setting up bad habits.

castlesintheair Wed 29-Oct-08 13:46:14

He will be fine. He's just going through a fussy stage. Keep offering lots of variety and he will hopefully get over it. Eventually grin
Fwiw, I know of a child that lived on yoghurts, milk & bananas until his teens and he's doing ok.

ComeOVeneer Wed 29-Oct-08 13:47:46

A lot of salt in marmite.

noonki Wed 29-Oct-08 13:58:11

My DS1 did exactly the same thing at the same age.

AS a baby would eat everything, at 18 months was eating spagetthi and cheese, now aged 3 eats everything (apart from baked beans!)

Keep doing what doing and dont make a fuss. Offer he lots of different bits, eat with him, put bowls on table for him to eat. And dont get cross, it's all about excerting power. If you are worried think about vitamin drops in his drink until he is less fussy. (We used to make shakes as well , he would have them and put in wet tofu so he would get some protein)

It is VERY frustrating but will be a phase as long as you dont rise to it!

HensMum Wed 29-Oct-08 14:07:25

Thanks. What he's eating is fairly healthy stuff (he really doesn't have huge amounts of Marmite) and he still drinks a good amount of formula so he's getting lots of vitamins etc, I'd just prefer it if some of them were in the form of vegetables!
I'll try the shakes with tofu though, that's a good idea.
It is sooooo frustrating, especially as he used to eat so well but I'm really trying not to let the frustration show and keep mealtimes as relaxed as they used to be.

noonki Wed 29-Oct-08 14:16:51

I feel your pain! Apparently though if they were good as babies they are likely to be good as kids. It's apparently all about self-preservation as it is at this age that they can go and poison themselves by wandering away and eating berries or whatever, so they get really fussy and only eat what they0 'know'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now