Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When to drop morning bf - 10 month old?

(8 Posts)
Travellerintime Tue 28-Oct-08 21:41:24

My dd (4) is starting at a new pre-school where she has an afternoon place. This will mean we'll have to leave the house 12:20 to get there in time, which means in turn lunch at the very latest at 11:45.

My dilemma is that I currently bf ds about 10/10:30am to see him through until lunchtime, currently 12:30. This won't work in the new routine of taking dd to pre-school, so I've been wondering whether to drop this feed and just give early lunch - 11:30am and poss a morning snack.

What do other 10 month olds do? How many bf's/much milk do they need? Ds has other bfs (first thing & last thing, plus a small bottle in the afternoon, and he eats pretty well too)

Sorry for all the detail - it sounds like I'm routine obsessed, but I'm not, I'm just getting really confused at how to carry on ds's routine while getting dd on time to pre-school.

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Oct-08 21:45:11

we've always BF on demand so can't really say how many feeds ds2 has/had
I'm not sure why you can't feed him at 10 and then offer lunch at 11.30 though??

Travellerintime Tue 28-Oct-08 21:47:34

I guess I'm thinking that he won't be hungry for lunch, so won't eat, so then won't want to nap in the pm...

ummadam Wed 29-Oct-08 10:11:17

Maybe give it a go and see how you get on?

DS 9m dropped his morning BF a while ago and now has early morning, sometimes mid afternoon if he feels like it and bedtime. Otherwise it is solids and water - when he isn't on a hunger strike like now

insywinsyspider Wed 29-Oct-08 13:56:04

my ds is 10 mo and has milk first thing, after lunch and before bed and food snacks in between, try dropping it and see what happens, he might need a small snack to get him to lunch but at least you'll be able to only give him enough to tide him over

ohdearwhatamess Wed 29-Oct-08 13:59:35

Ds2 (8.5 months) is ff - not sure if that makes a difference in terms of weaning.

He has milk at breakfast time, mid afternoon, and just before bed. We dropped the mid morning milk at about 6.5 months - he didn't seem to need or want it once he was eating proper food. He sometimes has a little snack mid morning (breadstick, banana) instead.

Travellerintime Wed 29-Oct-08 21:27:18

Thanks, all.

Will just give it a go I think and see what happens. I think I can't quite decide what do to because it's not really his routine - more about fitting into big sister's routine.

Will stop stressing and just try it.

smellen Wed 29-Oct-08 21:34:42

FWIW my 10mth old has BF at 7, 9.30-ish, 2ish, and 7pm, with meals at 8, 12.30, and 5-5.30. Sometimes I offer him a wee nip when he wakes from a nap too (around 11am and 3pm), if he seems to want a drink. I assume that as BM is the only drink/snack he gets between meals (& water with meals) that I should offer him a drink whenever he looks interested in it. He doesn't hang about and I'd hate to think he was thirsty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now