Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4 year sold wants to write his name but.....

(17 Posts)
Starbear Tue 28-Oct-08 19:47:45

he won't listen or copy me just shouts 'I'll do it' then just does a line or a Triangle for A. I then try and show him when he goes wrong and says 'I can't do it' without trying. I don't want to be a pushy mum but how can I help him do what he wants to do. He can sing the Alphabet song but gets JKL wrong. I'm mildly dyslexic and real want him to enjoy learning and not cry when it all get to much sad

CapnJadetheKnife Tue 28-Oct-08 19:51:20

draw it in dots or very faintly and get him to write over it.

The not listening and shouting I think is part of being this age. I think they want to but can't really concentrate on instructions for long enough for something that difficult.

It'll all fall into place and he is still young so don't worry too much.

Do him some sheets with e.g. his name, some other basic words and the alphabet to draw over. You may be able to find them online.

If he doesn't like that then point out it is that or nothing.

Seona1973 Tue 28-Oct-08 19:51:32

could you do dots in the shape of the letters and get him to write over the top?

ChasingSquirrels Tue 28-Oct-08 19:51:53

have you tried dotty fonts? There is a handwriting one with lines that can be traced over.
If he wants to try and write it you aren't pushing him, and it is quite common for them not to want you to show them how (I remember doing it myself. and both of mine do).

Seona1973 Tue 28-Oct-08 19:52:05

x-post!! great minds eh?!

BoysAreLikeZombies Tue 28-Oct-08 19:53:59

Make the letter shapes using a dotted line so that he can copy over it.

Make sure that you are using the correct letter sounds eg A is not 'ai' but 'ah'.

I would be v cautious about doing much more than this though - you could teach him a different way to school, and this might iterfere with the system used by school.

Why not teach him to dress/undress competently, do his shoes and coat independently, be able to open his sandwich tin, this will be of more use to him at the moment.

So sorry that you have difficulties with this

sad

CapnJadetheKnife Tue 28-Oct-08 19:54:05

grin

BoysAreLikeZombies Tue 28-Oct-08 19:54:50

Oh ! Would you look at all these x posts

Tidgypuds Tue 28-Oct-08 19:58:04

Sounds like a typical 4 year old. My DD was like this, now I get my own pen and sit next to her and write her name for her to copy on my own paper, this is much better than trying to take pen from her and show her.

The dot to dot idea works well.

Dont worry about the alphabet song either, he will pick up the correct way as he goes along. My DD thinks LMNOP is one letter hmm grin I dont correct her but try to sing the song with her and say it slowly for her to hear.

Starbear Tue 28-Oct-08 20:00:55

Thank you all for the dot-to-dot ideas. I'm trying to be relaxed but don't want to be soooo relax that it might seem like I don't care. I'll try the dots, as if is a game.
BoysarelikeZombies, thank you for the suggestions. I'm proud to say he can dress himself, put the recycling out and lay the table. We are also working on wiping your bum with out major smears. Will will now add opening sandwich box.
Thanks again I love getting practical tips grin

wingandprayer Tue 28-Oct-08 20:01:18

We got www.letterbox.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_461_31_50234_-1__write-start-wipe-clean -flashbacks for our DD last year and might help things along...

wingandprayer Tue 28-Oct-08 20:03:23

Oh good god will try that again www.letterbox.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_461_31_50234_-1__write-start-wipe-clean-flashb acks

It's been a a long day...

Starbear Tue 28-Oct-08 20:07:27

Wingandprayer my gran got me the old style book version of this when I was about 6-7 years old. She taught me how to form my letters in those joined up lines. Funny thinking about it now my spelling is appalling but my handwriting is lovely. Thanks for the website.

mankymummy Tue 28-Oct-08 20:11:06

tracing paper. you write the letters on a piece of paper, put tracing paper over and he can trace over it.

BoysAreLikeZombies Tue 28-Oct-08 20:15:00

Good luck, he sounds lovely

smile

Starbear Tue 28-Oct-08 20:15:33

Thanks mankymummy,
Must go now and do chores otherwise nothing will be ready for the morning. ta everyone

quinne Wed 29-Oct-08 06:02:28

Maybe he just isn't ready yet? I have a 4 year old too and recently he has started to want to do these things but not earlier this year. Their attention spans are extremely short at that age and IMO the worst thing you could do is let learning be something which isn't fun (because they've got a lot of years when they will have to do it and it will be so much easier for them if they like it at least at first).

In much of the rest of Europe, educationalists and child psychologists would say that it is unnatural to teach a child so young. I don't especially agree with them, but I do think it should wait until the individual child is ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now