Talk

Advanced search

poos - 9 weeks old and how often should my baby be poo'ing ?!!!

(8 Posts)
HelenBabyHToBe Tue 28-Oct-08 18:39:04

my 9 week old baby poo'd once a day in first few weeks an the every 3 or 4 days until he was 7 weeks old. however in the ast few weeks he has only went once a week....... is this normal. tomorro it has been a week since he last went....
should i worry? he is not excessively crying

Seona1973 Tue 28-Oct-08 19:50:25

is he breast or formula fed? breastfed babies can often go 7 days (or more) between poos without there being a problem. My ds used to go 3 (or occasionally 4) days between poos but it was still soft so he wasnt constipated (and he was bottlefed)

janx Tue 28-Oct-08 20:07:32

My dd used to go a week without pooing. I got worried about it and asked hv etc. One v sensible hv said that it was perfectly fine as long as she wasn't in pain or constipated. She was bfeed. I would enjoy the lack of poo. Ds on the other hand poos for England and I so wish he didn't smile

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Oct-08 20:13:29

if he is breastfed then it is fine

HelenBabyHToBe Tue 28-Oct-08 21:45:57

thanks guuys - u r alll really kind and helpful. joshua is breastfed so fingers crossed he is fine. hx

Sidge Tue 28-Oct-08 21:48:55

It doesn't really matter how often he goes, as long as when he does poo it's soft and easily passed and looks like type 4 or 5 on this chart

HelenBabyHToBe Thu 30-Oct-08 13:22:45

thanks everyone - joshua finally did massive explosion 6 days after prev poo ! sooooo he seems to be going every 6 days which i guess is fair enough from what people tell me about b'fed babes ! h
ps my friend is a gp and she suggested one part of freshly squeezrd orange to 5 parts breast milk if stuck and need to get babies poo's moving !!!!!!!!!

Wigglesworth Thu 30-Oct-08 13:33:08

We had same problem with DS, my HV told me to use 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed oj (get an orange and squeeze yourself) to 1 floz of cooled boiled water, worked a treat! Although she did say that this should not be used regularly as baby should be able to poo normally. If he isn't uncomfortable I wouldn't worry too much. You could also try massaging his tummy and moving his legs like a bicycle, doesn't work everytime but worth a try. Good luck, remember if in doubt check with HV or GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now