Talk

Advanced search

potty training

(16 Posts)
umchuck Tue 28-Oct-08 17:01:08

I thought my 2yr 2 month yr old was ready. She understands what the potty is for and will quite happily sit on it with her nappy on. On Sunday I started with the 'big girls' pants. She seemed happy at first wearing the pants but that was about it - She has done the majority of wee's and poo's in her pants or on on the floor. I am very calm and do remind her that she needs to poo and wee in the potty - she agrees every time.. but she hates sitting on the potty - even when I try to bribe her with chocolate and TV, she still won't sit on it.

This is completely doing my head in and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Has anyone got any advice at all?

I really don't want to go back to nappies now, but maybe she isn't ready at all....

xx

mankymummy Tue 28-Oct-08 17:03:03

if its the potty specifically thats the problem, can you get one of those seats that fit on top of the toilet and a stool for her to climb up?

maybe she's not ready? 2.2 sounds quite young to me.

crokky Tue 28-Oct-08 17:03:27

My breakthrough came with DS when I bought a new potty. The new one was red, he loved it, the first day I bought it he used it (old one was white and yellow). Having weed and pooed on the carpet/pants whatever for 2 weeks. Very shortly after that, he was reliably clean and dry. Bizarre!

SoupDragon Tue 28-Oct-08 17:05:17

DD was the same at a similar age - understood it and was keen but completely and utterly clueless when it actually came to it. She was back in nappies within 3 days. She recently trained in 3 days at 2y 7 months and is completely reliable.

You can:
1) try her on the toilet rather than the potty
2) soldier on (it was 2 days of hell before DD got it on day 3!)
3) Accept she's not ready, put her back in nappies for a few months and don't make a fuss.

Personally, I'd choose option 3 (from the POV of having trained 3 SmallDragons)

DraculaNeedsArteries Tue 28-Oct-08 17:11:30

2.2 is on the young side and I think that to do it at this age she has to be physically ready and emotionally ready.

I agree with Soupy and would probably delay it a couple of months. You will only push her into a corner of rebellion which will be worse fo you in teh end (speaks from experience....)

Another tip that I would offer when you do do it.

Start with a naked bottom. When confident with this (about 1 week) put knickers on. When confident with this (about 1 week) add trousers....

umchuck Tue 28-Oct-08 17:21:42

Thank you all.

I really didn't think this was going to be such a nightmare! maybe I should hold off for a couple of months then...

I am also 4 months pregnant - so I wanted her to be dry before the new one comes.

Thanks again

crokky Tue 28-Oct-08 17:24:49

I wouldn't worry if she isn't dry before the new baby comes. I trained my DS (at 2.6) when my DD was 5 or 6 months old, it was no problem having them both in nappies.

DraculaNeedsArteries Tue 28-Oct-08 17:30:15

With another LO on teh way you (according to my friends HV) you ahev to be careful that a freshly potty trained child doesn't regeress when LO arrives as rebellion to reduced attention.

I think that I would try again in 6wks, and if that doesn't work then wait until LO is here and settled.

colander Tue 28-Oct-08 17:36:56

Sounds like she isn't ready. You are only 4 months pregnant, still a while to go. I did DD1 when I was 7 months pregnant, she was 2.9 and was so ready she never had an accident. I'd say she was potty trained in 1 hour!

Don't get me started on DD2 though.....she is capable of denying she is doing a wee as it comes flooding through her pants onto the carpet.

umchuck Tue 28-Oct-08 19:10:36

Thats exactly what she is like. She says she doesn't need to go and then seconds later she is weeing on the floor.

What do you think is the best way of training? We spoke about it. I had the potties around for a while and she liked to sit on them with her nappy on. then i put the pants on and encouraged etc...

Is there a better more efficient way at all?

DraculaNeedsArteries Tue 28-Oct-08 19:38:47

Has she ever done a wee in it? She might say she knows what it is for but does she know? She needs to catch a wee in it, and receive praise for doing so.

Juts leave the potty around.

Don't force HER TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL WITH IT, JUST LET IT BECOME PART OF TEH FURNITURE.

<Sorry about caps lock there>

SIL trained her first at 18m. She used to sit her DD on the potty before bed reading story after story. Occassionally she would catch an "accident". Then one day her DD said "no more nappies, potty please" and that was that.

colander Tue 28-Oct-08 23:09:26

Meant to add, therefore DD2 is still in nappies (2.10) and I'll leave her in them until I think she is ready. I'm all for making life easy - why spend hours vaxing the carpet, washing pants etc, wait until she is ready. Just my opinion though, before I get shot down by those who advocate weeks of trying.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 28-Oct-08 23:25:22

We have tried 4 times with DD she will be 3 in January and each time it is exactly how you describe, will try again at Christmas

pania Tue 28-Oct-08 23:35:03

Is she dry at night? With ds, I waited until then (he was about 2 1/2). He trained in literally a few days, I think because he was well and truly ready.
We didn't use a potty - bought him one of those child seats that fit over the toilet seat so they feel secure. He calls it his teddy seat as it has a picture of a teddy on it, and takes great pride in putting it on the loo when he needs to go. Also has a step stool to get up there and rest his feet on.
I bought him his own underpants as well as the seat and showed them all to him, and told him that "one day" when he was a big boy he wouldn't have to wear nappies any more and could use the loo just like Mummy and Daddy. This was a few weeks before I actually got round to trying him and by then he was quite curious and excited about the prospect.

ceciliaaherne Tue 28-Oct-08 23:36:06

She sounds a little young. Don't panic, leave it a while and try again when she is more ready.

nondomesticgoddess Wed 29-Oct-08 13:38:45

When dd was 2.3 I took her nappy off after tea and let her roam in a state of semi-undress until bedtime. She did a wee on the potty quite early on and got lots of praise. She then seemed to realise when she needed to go and would head for the potty.

A month later I decided to go for it as she seemed to really have the idea in the evenings. For the first few days we stayed at home and she wore pants only, then trousers after a couple of days. She soon got the idea and has had very few accidents since. I don't want to be smug - whenever I feel smug it all goes horribly wrong wink!

You could try the evening thing and if you don't feel like she's getting anywhere, try again in a couple of months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now