Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

At what age should they be able to dress themselves?

(16 Posts)
mytetherisending Mon 27-Oct-08 21:02:47

DD1 is 2.10 and still struggles to put her long sleeved tops, tights and coat on. She can do her trousers if they aren't tight, pj bottoms, skirt, shoes, knickers, obviously not in that order! grin

2point4kids Mon 27-Oct-08 21:05:27

DS is just 3. He can do pant, trs and socks but cant put on or take off anything on his top half yet!

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 27-Oct-08 21:07:25

DD is always a bit different - she could take all her clothes off early!
She can do knickers and trousers is I remind her that the label goes at the back iyswim
She can do tops, but not shirts / small buttons.
She is ust three.

loler Mon 27-Oct-08 21:08:54

dd couldn't do socks until the week she went to school - was my major stress at the time!

Ds - 3.5 can do everything apart from buttons and laces - has been able to for a few months. He is far more independant than dd who would still like me to dress her every morning. Can/will are 2 different things!

deaconblue Mon 27-Oct-08 21:10:30

Ds is 2 1/2 and is steadfastly refusing to even try to learn to dress or undress himself. He just says "mummy do it" to everything except socks. Discovered today that the little monkey happily removes shoes, socks and coat and has a good go at putting them back on again at nursery!
btw tights are difficult, have you tried putting them on when drunk

likessleep Mon 27-Oct-08 21:12:46

Maybe this threa could also be about when can DHs dress DCs! My DH came downstairs with DS wearing his dungerees back to front yesterday hmm ... very funny

Flum Mon 27-Oct-08 21:16:01

DD1 is 5 in Feb and still struggles with tights and buttons. Also often puts on school dress and forgets polo top goes on first etc, so really still needs supervising.

DD2 is 2 and half and can put some clothes on but always backwards or twisted up..... Good with socks...

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 27-Oct-08 21:19:23

LOL @ back to front dungarees, my dp puts nappies on inside out and back to front (cloth ones).
My ds1 is going to be four in march. He can do all clothes but struggles with socks. It takes him about six hours to get dressed, as it is essential to jump on the sofa, fight with his brother, play with every toy in the house and go for sixty wees inbetween.

Acinonyx Mon 27-Oct-08 22:37:41

DD is 3.4 and i just have faith that she will dress herself by the time she's a teenager...

asdmumandteacher Mon 27-Oct-08 22:38:40

DS is 9 and still won't put bloody socks on!!!

nappyaddict Mon 27-Oct-08 22:41:48

DS is 2.4 and can take off trousers and socks that's it.

mytetherisending Tue 28-Oct-08 08:17:37

LOL @back to front and DH's. Mine needs educating about matching as he seems to have missed that part of development! Top with horizontal stripes and trousers with vertical stripes grin On dd1 btw! grin

gallusbesom Tue 28-Oct-08 11:24:49

DD is 2.7 and is a whizz at taking stuff off (always has been) and getting better at putting stuff on as long as she is reminded that the bows/buttons/picture goes at the front - not so good at long sleeved tops but she is getting there with practise.

angelene Tue 28-Oct-08 11:42:26

DD is 3 and puts both legs into same trouser leg, knicker leg etc. Always gets one arm through the neck hole of tops. Can take everything off, although she often gets stuck with her top round her back.

Trouble is the mornings are just so rushed that it's hard to take the time to do things slowly with her.

CarofromWton Tue 28-Oct-08 11:55:07

My DD2 is 4 (5 in Dec) and dresses/undresses herself well, but it always makes me smile now she's at school. You can always tell when they have had a PE lesson as they come home with cardigans on inside out, shoes on wrong foot etc. grin

Weegle Tue 28-Oct-08 19:46:43

thank goodness for this thread - DS is 2.5 but shows no interest in element of dressing/undressing himself. He can jsut about manage to pull down a pair or tracksuit/PJ trousers, that's it. I can see no point in potty training him until he can at least do trousers, surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now