Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anxious child

(7 Posts)
twinnymumof3 Sun 26-Oct-08 16:55:51

Looking for advice on how to cope with anxiety and panic attacks in a 9 year old. I have suffered panic attacks myself but have never discussed them with him. I was never like this as a child but have been crippled by anxiety since having prem twins 6 years ago. I am currently undergoing cognitive behaviour therapy but do not know what to do with him. I He is an outgoing sociable boy but is particularly anxious about certain things . Any ideas on how I should approach this?

tribpot Sun 26-Oct-08 17:19:19

I don't have a 9 year old but I wonder, is he really having anxiety attacks or do you think that he is because you are, if you see what I mean? It could be normal 9 year old behaviour that you're taking out of context - of course it may not be. Can you describe more? When my oldest nephew was 8 my house burnt down and then his was burgled within the space of a fortnight (sounds like something off Eastenders, doesn't it?) and he was very worried the burglar knew where they lived and would tell his friends I think. Kept asking his mum if the burglar had told his friends. All perfectly 'normal' anxiety under the circumstances.

Can you discuss with your GP or the school nurse maybe?

Prufrock Sun 26-Oct-08 17:49:01

My dd has been getting very anxious. We bought this book and it does seem to be helping a bit. It's basically CBT wrapped up in kid friendly (if a little American) language.

As one of her issues is lying in bed worrying about stuff at night we also bought worry dolls and the book Silly Billy (though it might be a little young for a 9 year old)

cocoleBOO Sun 26-Oct-08 17:53:10

Thanks for the link Prufrock, I think I'll get it for my DD.

She suffers from terrible anxiety, (she's 10), I have found that a high dose of fish oils and Jan De Vries Child Essence drops helps her.

tribpot Sun 26-Oct-08 19:06:11

Sorry ladies, wasn't meaning to suggest there wasn't a real problem, just wanting to verify because it must be really easy in such a circumstance to identify or attribute behaviour to an adult condition where it might not fit.

Prufrock Sun 26-Oct-08 19:18:15

I think it's a perfectly valid point trib - I know I am projecting my memories of being a friendless child onto dd and so getting ridiculously upset when she comes homes and tells me no-one wants to play with her (though I'm doing all my crying about it in private and being very supportive and matter of fact in front of her). I am paranoid about ensuring that my own issues don't exacerbate hers. But I'm also very aware that if my issues had been addressed when I was younger it would have saved anawful lot of upset and therapists fees (My mum told me that I shouldn't make too much fuss about dd's problems because I'd been the same but it was just a phase and it passed - erm no, I just stopped telling her I was upset because she kept getting angry with me when I didn't just pull myself together)

twinnymumof3 Sun 26-Oct-08 22:19:12

Thanks for all advice. am very conscious that I have prob projected my anxieties although have tried so hard not to. His panics are based around the samt things as mine - mainly illness. have ordered the book already plus another 2 so thanks tribot! It helps to know that other people have anxious ch. My husband is not an anxious person at all and thinks we should just ignore it as much as poss but I can't help feeling that I do not want him to grow up with the same feelings as I have experienced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now