Talk

Advanced search

2 yo dropping daytime naps

(12 Posts)
FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 24-Oct-08 14:28:16

Am posting for my sister, whose DD (2 next month) is really resisting daytime naps. It's definitely not because she's not tired, as she'll crash out exhausted if in her buggy or car (or even falls asleep sitting up in her cot but wakes as soon as sis leaves the room). She is doing everything she can to resist a daytime nap. She can work herself up into hysterics if left in her cot. Sister is convinced it's a battle of wills rather than anything else.

Btw going to bed at night is not a problem - just daytime.

Does anyone have any practical advice on getting her back into the pattern? Sister desperate!

Tia.

cleversprout Fri 24-Oct-08 14:37:08

I think it depends on what your sister is comfortable with. I know some children who dropped their daytime nap before 2 but mine were more like 2.5/3 before they consistently didn;t nap.

Options imo:
1) Battle it out, leave her in cot. She might give up the fight after a few days.
2) Don;t even try to get her to nap and put up with late afternoon bad mood and early bedtime.
3) Revolve car journeys/walks around nap time. Take a book so you can park somewhere and read - have done that!

I have to say I favoured option 1 if I knew for sure they were tired. When they got older, more like 2.5, I let them watch tv after lunch and sometimes they would drop off.

purpleduck Fri 24-Oct-08 14:38:09

My 2 dcs both gave up around age 2. If I recall, they only had a nap every few days, then gradually not at all.

My son in particular was resisting alot just before he stopped altogether.

Both were fine very soon after they stopped napping.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 24-Oct-08 14:39:58

Thanks.

As an example, my sister and niece are here at the moment - she is currently sitting cross-legged on the floor in front of In the Night Garden nodding off like an old lady!

purpleduck Fri 24-Oct-08 14:40:55

ooh, cleversprout, thats good. My sil was a childminder, and always got all the children to have quiet time after lunch, I always wondered how she did it, but maybe it was a natural progression of nap time.

They carried on with quiet time for ages as well.

<<<wish I would have done that >>

slayerette Fri 24-Oct-08 14:42:56

Worth noting as your sister's DD gets a little older that it's not unusual for children who don't need a nap normally to fall asleep in the car. My DS is 5 and long past daytime naps but will still nap in the car on the way home from swimming, for example. So that in itself not evidence of her not being ready to drop her daytime nap, iyswim.

However, falling asleep sitting up in cot? - definitely sounds like a battle of wills!

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 24-Oct-08 14:46:14

Hi, am the sister in question - thanks for the advice.
To be honest am perfectly happy for her to give up her nap if she really isn't tired, but she just gets exhausted and ratty, and we both end up getting irritated with each other.
Plus the day stretches out for a really long time.
Main issue though is her iron will - favoured option would be to get her to sleep in her cot, but she is capable of crying/screaming for half an hour, and I feel awful leaving her to do that. I want to butch it out though...
Tricky one.... thanks.

PortofinoPumpkin Fri 24-Oct-08 14:48:00

My dd topped at round about the same time - great pity as we always used to have a snooze at the same time at the weekends. If i put her in her room she would scream for an hour. She too will fall asleep in the car but under no circumstances go to bed. I found the DVD and a cuddle on the sofa the best thing. Sometimes we both get a little snap, sometimes we watch all of the film, but batteries get a bit recharged....

PortofinoPumpkin Fri 24-Oct-08 14:48:40

Little NAP I mean grin

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 24-Oct-08 14:49:05

Sis here again... yes, it truly is will-power, she does that head-nodding thing and falls asleep sitting up so I totally know she's knackered. But resists if I try and make her more comfy or lie her down or whatever.
Has crashed in front of tv for now, so the battle will have to continue!
Thanks again.

cleversprout Fri 24-Oct-08 14:57:59

Worst thing is when they fall asleep at 5pm though! My dd once fell asleep in the highchair mid-chew on some lasagne. It was when I realised what the recline function was for on the highchair. She woke up 20 mins later and finished the food in her mouth! That's the poor third child for you....

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 24-Oct-08 15:03:39

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now