Talk

Advanced search

Books for 5 year olds?

(13 Posts)
kwaker5 Thu 23-Oct-08 21:23:02

Can anyone recommend some books for a 5 year old (one boy and one girl if that matters). I have no idea what sort of level I should be aiming for as I don't see them very often - are big format picture books still OK? Was thinking about 'Where the wild things are' but is it too young for that age?

Thanks

MorticiaAnnSpookington Thu 23-Oct-08 21:27:30

Go and look at the George and Lily books - they are fab

MorticiaAnnSpookington Thu 23-Oct-08 21:32:08

can only find this title at the moment they are charming !
Try The Gruffalo, Emma Chichester Clark books...generally lovely picture books with text will be fine

Elk Thu 23-Oct-08 21:38:37

My dd1 loves sticker books at the moment. Particularly the Usborne Fairy and Princess type ones.

She likes all the flower fairy ones to be read to her. She also likes the big format picture type books as she can read them herself now.

Charlie and Lola books can be good.

Or the Mr Men?

kwaker5 Thu 23-Oct-08 21:40:51

The George and Lily all seem to be out of print (published in 2000). I bought The Gruffalo when they were younger and sort of thought maybe they would have grown out of it by now.

Are they too young for 'Where's Wally' books?

oops Thu 23-Oct-08 21:41:42

Message withdrawn

morningpaper Thu 23-Oct-08 21:44:34

not gruffalo, they will have hundreds of copies

forkhandles Thu 23-Oct-08 21:55:13

my DD (5.5) and her friends are all reading these Rainbow Magic Fairy books at the moment, or having them read to them! You can buy box sets from the Book People.

She also enjoys books by Dick King-Smith, the Dr Suess Cat in the Hat books and Beatrix Potter.

Where The Wild Things are would be fine I think. Big format picture books are good too as she can read them herself.

policywonk Thu 23-Oct-08 22:01:27

I just got DS1 (who's 5) The Iron Man by Ted Hughes. He has to have it read to him, obv (he's not quite a genius) but he absolutely loves it.

littlelapin Thu 23-Oct-08 22:02:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fennel Thu 23-Oct-08 22:08:45

I would go either for the more complex picture books or for very simple chapter books for 5yos. (and then I would say they were good for reading out loud, just in case the parent assumed I was expecting their child to be reading chapter books).

Chapter books I'd buy for a 5yo - Sophie series by Dick King Smith. Horrid Henry if you don't know the parent dislikes them. The Kitty books by Bel Mooney. Or Paddington. Or Roald Dahl.

Where the Wild things are is good for 5yo, my dd2 loved it when she did it in reception. It depends if you know what they've already got though, lots of people do have lots of the classic popular picture books by the time their child is 5.

littlelapin Thu 23-Oct-08 22:17:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

morningpaper Fri 24-Oct-08 08:44:20

this is one of my five year-olds favourite books - look at the reviews it's got!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: