Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's child sing themselves to sleep?

(24 Posts)
Weegle Thu 23-Oct-08 19:50:09

As I type this I am listening to a perfectly tuneful rendition of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. We've already had Dingle Dangle Scarecrow, Down at the Station, Little Bo Peep, Wind the Bobbin Up and oh here we go Down at the Station again. This will carry on for approx 1 hour total before he drops off to sleep. Complete with claps and I'm guessing actions. Seriously cute, he's 2.4 - anyone else's do this?!

southeastastra Thu 23-Oct-08 19:51:41

aw no don't think mine did. that's so cute

DraculaNeedsArteries Thu 23-Oct-08 19:52:32

Tis very cute...if that wors for him. UYou probably need to wean him off it before he goes to uni but fo rthe time being just let it put a smile on your face smile

I have a 7yo that sings on teh loo....

Weegle Thu 23-Oct-08 19:52:52

I know I need to record it one night. It's every night without fail.

nooOOOoonki Thu 23-Oct-08 19:53:29

My DS1 used to when he was about the same age (nay no more, now he just chats to his imaginary friend),

and DS2 wakes up 'singing', tis very sweet smile

nickytwoooohtimes Thu 23-Oct-08 19:53:30

Yes. Mine does a sort of sample track of his favourites.
Sometimes his mind goes blank and he just odes "mummy, Daddy, la, la, la" etc. He only manages about 10 mins though. It is lovely.

Weegle Thu 23-Oct-08 19:54:45

It is isn't it - such a lovely way to end the day! smile

TheArmadillo Thu 23-Oct-08 19:55:09

yes but his songs are made up usually - more a random collection of thoughts put to a tune.

And he talks to himself to.

But not partic loudly.

He is 4yo.

mazzystartled Thu 23-Oct-08 19:55:58

yes, ds has done it since he was about 2 [just turned 4]. we usually get a selection of his favourite numbers [yellow submarine, go go power rangers, baa baa, teenage kicks grin ] mixed in with strange sung narrative of what has happened that day.

its so sweet

Weegle Thu 23-Oct-08 19:56:23

oh we have the random nonsence too - usually about various soft toys being sent to the naughty mat

ohdearwhatamess Thu 23-Oct-08 19:58:48

Ds1 does this sometimes - so cute. Also at 6am (less cute).

Current favourites are The Wheels on the Bus, The Hokey Cokey, and (slightly more unusual) Queen's Another One Bites the Dust ('du, du, du, another one bites the dust' repeated ad infinitum).

Weegle Thu 23-Oct-08 20:00:19

ohdearwhatamess - that's so funny. DS when he can't remember what comes next just repeats the same line over and over and over and over - 10 out of 10 for perseverance. Then he gives up and chooses a new tune!

AuntyViCtimoftheZombies Thu 23-Oct-08 23:15:46

Haha that is very cool! Our DS "sings" himself to sleep quite often but as he is only 10 months it is more of a burble, but this is making me wonder what we have to look forward to in a few years!

elkiedee Thu 23-Oct-08 23:19:38

Not at night but ds 17 months sings to himself in the buggy, Hokey Cokey seems to be his current favourite, was Wheels on the Bus.

Flum Thu 23-Oct-08 23:27:59

Yes its lovely both did stopped around 4 though. They share a room and if one is asleep the other just chats to themselves!!!

DavethePlasterer Thu 23-Oct-08 23:32:46

yes yes yes DS 22months. Wouldn't call it singing though all though it IS in tune - more like belting it out!

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Thu 23-Oct-08 23:35:59

DSD does that still at 4. I sit in my bedroom feeding DD to sleep with renditions of all the nursery rhymes she knows smile She also tells her toys that she can't play with them so stop asking her! grin It always amazes me as one minute she will be singing her head off and the next she's fast asleep. I just couldn't settle making that much noise!

LittleOneMum Fri 24-Oct-08 11:36:44

This thread has made my day a little brighter. I can't wait for my DS (1) to do this. I'll just die of cuteness. I think you ladies need to tape these moments - so special!

Fennel Fri 24-Oct-08 11:38:17

My 8yo sings a lot of the time, it's a lovely habit, she doesn't talk loads but you can hear when she's awake and where she is in the house by the singing. I'm hoping she never grows out of it.

pumpkinscantdancethetango Fri 24-Oct-08 11:41:46

2yr old sang about pb bear for 15 mins without stopping yesterday while i was trying to get him to sleep in the pram. "pb beeeeeear, peeeebeeeee bear, pb beeeeeear..." all in different tunes and speads, very cute but cant wait until he learns some more words!

wearymum200 Fri 24-Oct-08 11:51:05

DS 2.5 often talks or sings himself to sleep. Seriously regretted inventing a song (to the tune of Baa baa black sheep) which goes car, car, black car as we had it several nights in a row (at 2am) when he woke himself up coughing and needed to go back off (not really complaining as he's very good at putting himself back to sleep). Discussions about the day's vehicle viewing with his teddy bear are also normal. I love it!

MadameTartNFurter Fri 24-Oct-08 11:56:39

DS (8) sang me song at bedtime last night, along the lines of:

who loves you very much? Faaaamily Faaaamily

who makes your breakfast? Faaamily Faaamily

who keeps you very safe? Faaamily Faaamily

etc .. ending with a long Faaaaamilllleeeeee!

which I thought he must have got from some club or other that he goes to, but he made it up, which I thought was lovely! smile

stardazzle Fri 24-Oct-08 11:57:31

my dd2 (3.5) generally wakes us up by singing, however she is generally on the loo and the song goes something like ' i am sitting on the toilet and i'm doing a poo' all very beautifully and tuneful!

ScottishMummy Fri 24-Oct-08 12:04:33

yes sings self to sleep.winkle winkle liddle staaar but uses singing to try stay awake too

ol Macdonald had a faaaaaaaaaarm eieioooo at top volume to postpone the inevitable sleep

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now