Talk

Advanced search

Post-traumatic stress

(8 Posts)
Sheila Wed 22-Oct-08 20:43:03

My 8yo DS suffered a fairly horrific accident at the weekend, involving emergency surgery, a lot of pain and shock. I think the physical long-term damage will be fairly minor, but for now he's still in some pain. I'm actually more worried about his mental state - he's tearful one minute, laughing manically the next.

I can't decide whether it would be better to send him back to school (he could probably manage this physically) or keep him at home until half term.

I'm a single parent and was present at the accident so struggling myself.

Could really use some advice - especially if you've been through something similar. How can I help us both through this?

Thanks in advance - hope you can help.

Marne Wed 22-Oct-08 20:49:28

No experiance but i would keep him home, its only a couple of days.

Hope he is feeling better soon

Zazette Wed 22-Oct-08 20:53:00

How awful, I'm so sorry. I hope he does make a good recovery. If you can keep him off and stay at home without it causing difficulties with work or whatever, I'd do it - sounds like you could both do with snuggling up together for a bit.

googgly Wed 22-Oct-08 20:53:46

Keep him at home for a bit, and go to see GP for advice about the anxiety.

Sheila Wed 22-Oct-08 20:54:31

Thanks Marne - that's my instinct too. Earlier today he said he wanted to go back, but at bedtime he was crying again and worried about leaving me. He's really not up to it, although I could really use a break and a return to work and something like normality.

Sheila Wed 22-Oct-08 20:57:17

Thanks to Zazette and googly too - seems to be a consensus! Anyone out there experienced something similar? Would love to hear from you.

Marne Wed 22-Oct-08 21:01:44

Keep him busy, maybe take him somewhere nice to take his mind off of it.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Wed 22-Oct-08 21:08:44

I would keep him home until after half-term. the accident alone would be enough, but the fact that he has also had an op, and therefore will still have the GA floating about his system (whatever they say I think it take a weeks to fully get over that bit), means that really, he needs to be home in comfort.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: