Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to tell the difference between boys and girls?

(9 Posts)
2point4kids Tue 21-Oct-08 19:35:44

My DS is just turned 3 and he cant tell the difference between boys and girls. I'm trying to help him distinguish between them but its hard to explain!

He calls everyone 'he' and when I correct him and say 'no, X is a she because she is a girl' he starts asking me if DS2 is a girl or if X is a girl too and just seems to have no idea who is a girl and who is a boy.

He always tells me 'Good boy Mummy' or 'you are a big strong boy Mummy' and when I tell him I am a girl he then says 'oh! and Daddy a girl?' I think because I am big and Daddy is big relative to him, he is lumping us both together...

What age do they start to learn the difference? and how can I help him figure it out for now? It seems to completely confuse him!

compo Tue 21-Oct-08 19:36:47

just keep saying daddy is a boy, mummy is a girl and he'll get it, don't worry, it won't take long

Bluebutterfly Tue 21-Oct-08 19:43:18

Don't worry he will work it out - chances are he does understand in some sense but doesn't always remember/know the words. I think it is a question of language development more than cognitive development iyswim.

Bluebutterfly Tue 21-Oct-08 19:45:16

Also, it is also normal in the sense that children love to ask questions even when they already know the answer. Ds has been known to ask me if I am a girl, a princess, a tiger, a boy, a pirate. Part of it is just a game to them because issues like gender are just not that important to them yet!

fymandbean Tue 21-Oct-08 19:48:03

hah - you're lucky we just get the willy question.....

Grandma have you got a willy? for example was one classic or "has he got a willy?" (shouted in the street at a random stranger) blush

2point4kids Tue 21-Oct-08 19:48:20

Yes, that does make sense. Ds does like asking questions he knows the answers to as well.
Perhaps he is starting to get the idea and just likes keep asking to get confirmation.

He seems very cross when I tell him that I am a girl and he DS2 and Daddy are all boys because it is uneven! He insists that there must be 2 boys and 2 girls! Perhaps he keeps asking me in case I slip up and admit who the other girl is grin

2point4kids Tue 21-Oct-08 19:49:25

Yes, I get the willy question too. Have been asked loudly and in public as well blush

googgly Tue 21-Oct-08 20:00:52

ds2: Granny have you got a willy?

Granny: No, I'm a girl, I haven't got a willy.

ds2: what have you got?

Granny: Now what do I say? What do I say?

2point4kids Tue 21-Oct-08 20:04:46

pmsl I havent had that question yet and I have to say I have no idea what I will say when he does ask!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now