Talk

Advanced search

MCUG in 2 week old ds tmorrow... anxious nervous and everything else under the sun!!!

(8 Posts)
1sttimer80 Mon 20-Oct-08 22:50:44

My ds was diagnosed with dilation on his kidneys at his 20 week scan during my pregnancy. they scanned him at 3 days old and said there was still some dilation, and so wanted to do a MCUG.

He's on antibiotics at the moment and it's hell getting them down him (advice on getting medication down a 2 week old would also be helpful!!).

What are the possible outcomes of the MCUG? I just want to know people's experiences!

GreenMonkies Mon 20-Oct-08 23:17:06

Hi,

I work in Radiology and assist with MCU's regularly. The procedure is fairly straight forward, it checks for reflux of urine back up into the kidneys. He will need to be stripped and will lie on an xray table. It's a sterile procedure so the Dr will wipe his bits and be wearing gloves etc. A very small sterile catheter will be passed into his bladder, and secured with tape. Some clear fluid (which shows up on xrays) will be passed through the catheter to fill his bladder and xray pics will be taken when he wee's. As he wee's they will take pictures to see if his wee is going back up the tubes that link his kidneys to his bladder.

The possible outcomes are that he will be all clear and there is no reflux back to his kidneys, or there may be reflux. How serious it is depends on how far the wee refluxes, sometimes it just goes slightly back up, sometimes all the way up and sometimes it floods the kidneys completely. If it does reflux he will probably be referred for a nuclear medicine scan to see if there is any scarring on his kidneys.

He will be unhappy about being stripped, and will not really like being held still on the xray table. We get Mums and Dads to help with as much as we can, as it tends to make for happier babies! He may well cry a bit, but in truth the examinatin doesn't actually hurt, he may feel a slight twinge as the catheter is passed up his willy into his bladder, but once it's in place all he will feel is his bladder getting full, at which point he will emtpy it, generally all over the staff (I always wear gloves and a plastic apron over my lead apron!!) and it's amazing just how far little boys can wee!

As for how to get meds into him, hmm, it's difficult! Is he on trimethaprim? It's the one they tend to use for bladder/water infections, and it tastes vile. Can you mix it with a little milk and get him to take it like that at the beginning of a feed, or perhaps squirt it into the back of his cheek a little at a time. It's hard though, they have the ability to spit it all out don't they? It's a horrible thing to say but often if they are crying they will gulp and swallow, so the meds go in any way.

Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you're dreading it but it should be done pretty quickly, and you'll probably find it more distressing that he will.

whitebeachesandcoconutoil Tue 21-Oct-08 08:48:08

hi just to reassure you my lo had this too and the last lady is right he may cry a bit [i cried more blush but it is over quickly and it is for the best that it is done.luckily he did not have reflux but he did keep having scans up until he was 18 months when he was discharged. good luck!!!

1sttimer80 Tue 21-Oct-08 19:57:41

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your advice! I read them inthe early hours of the morning but didn;t get a chnace to reply.

GreenMonkies your detailed description was spot on!
Whitebeachesandcoconutoil I couldn;t stand there and pin him down so let the husband did that while I whimpered behind the screens. DS did scream a little bit but not as bad as I thought he would.

He is on trimethoprim, and Greenmonkies you're right, the only way I can get it down him is when he;s crying, but it's so heartbreaking!

Good news is that nothing came up on the xrays, so now just need to wait for the kidneys to clear up so that he can come off the horrible antibiotics!

GreenMonkies Tue 21-Oct-08 20:27:53

LOL well, I figure that every hospital does it pretty much the same way!!

Good news that there is no reflux, and brilliant that you won't have to go through the trauma of the antibiotics! Is it just once a day?

1sttimer80 Tue 21-Oct-08 21:27:58

it is at the moment, although for the MCUG we had to double up, day before this morning and tomorrow then back to the normal dose once in the evening until the kidneys drain the fluid. The poor thing!

GreenMonkies Tue 21-Oct-08 21:37:15

I presume they are scanning him regularly to check on his kidneys, so hopefully he'll not be on the nasty medicine for long.

smile

1sttimer80 Wed 22-Oct-08 22:47:47

yep you;re right, there is another scan booke din for 3 weeks time, so hopefully fingers crossed he's cleared his kidneys by then.

Thank you so much for your help!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: