Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby eye tests

(5 Posts)
keels26 Mon 20-Oct-08 19:21:29

Have an 11 month old little girl who I have to take for an eye test, because her older brother started wearing glasses when he was 4, due to being short sighted. Think(or hope) her eyesights ok, but was wondering what they did during this eye test. Would appreciate anybodys advice if they have any info.

Seona1973 Mon 20-Oct-08 19:36:24

If it was like my dd's (although she was a bit older - 18 months) then they will put drops in her eyes to dilate her pupils and then they will look into the back of her eyes. They might also get her to follow a penlight with her eyes or maybe they will use pictures to check her focus, etc. Can you contact the hospital (is that where you are going?) to see exactly what is involved so you will be more prepared?

PumpkinPatty Mon 20-Oct-08 19:37:19

My DD went for one at about 10 months. They put drops in her eyes and we had to wait a few mintues for them to work.

They they looked into her eyes with various lenses (not sure if lense is the official term!) and with a light.
And they held up different objects and watched her eyes as she followed them - I think this bit was to check for a squint.

She didn't mind it, the only bit she didn't like was the eye drops, but she was fine after a minute or two.

HTH

theSuburbanDryad Mon 20-Oct-08 19:39:00

Are you seeing an ophthalmologist at the hospital or just a normal optician?

keels26 Mon 20-Oct-08 19:43:05

Its just at my health visitors, so not sure who it is with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now