Talk

Advanced search

Drawing people

(10 Posts)
Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 15:49:04

So 4 yr olds (just) - when they draw a person what do you expect at this age.

Only interested because ds3 just drew the family and now I'm interested in what I should 'expect' at this point.

Bear in mind I am working alllll day today and am utterly bored so posting inane questions that keep popping into my head grin

slng Sun 19-Oct-08 15:56:29

DS1 never ever drew any people until recently - he's 4.9 now - and his people has ALL the details, like hair, eyes, nose, neck, tummy, hands, fingers etc. Just in funny proportion. Though I recognised one of his friends from his drawing once ...

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 16:13:36

Ha ha!

Ds3 has only just turned 4 - his picture today was at that stage where it's a big head with arms and legs coming off it, eyes, nose, mouth, hair (and prickles for dh - wtf?).

I'm sure this pretty average - was just wondering.

merryandmad Sun 19-Oct-08 16:24:20

My dd1 was four last month- her person has the same big head with arm and legs coming off the big head. She had added fingers and eyes, nose etc aswell. She sometimes adds clothes too- but TBH they all look the same.

castlesintheair Sun 19-Oct-08 16:38:35

I think that's normal Gobbledigook. My DCs do tea-towels with self-portraits in reception and about half are the way you describe.

coochybottom Sun 19-Oct-08 17:04:49

I used to worry cos my DS used to always leave off the arms and I used to think it had some deep pshycological meaninghmm.

Boco Sun 19-Oct-08 17:09:24

dd is 3 and draws people with proper bodies and wearing dresses and they have fingers and toes and proper features - but i think this is because she does a lot of drawing with her 6 year old sister and has copied her style.

Skramble Sun 19-Oct-08 17:11:30

They do tend to leave out arms unless required eg cuddling mum or picking something up.

bubblagirl Sun 19-Oct-08 17:22:54

my ds is 3.6 and its a huge head eyes ears mouth etc then 2 what look like birds legs coming off it very good though bless him

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Oct-08 17:53:32

yeah, my boys are not that into drawing and colouring so it's not something they do very often.

Sounds like it's about right though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now