Talk

Advanced search

When to buy the first pair of shoes?

(26 Posts)
MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:28:59

DS is walking and getting more confident all the time with it, but he doesn't walk far at all... we took him to the park today and just let him toddle around in his socks, but should he have shoes for this sort of thing?

How long do the first pair tend to last?

llareggub Sat 18-Oct-08 22:30:56

I think so. Pop along to a shoe shop and have him fitted. Go somewhere reputable and they'll watch him walk. Shoes last as long as they fit. DS had some every 6 weeks or so between christmas and May but this pair has lasted him from May until now.

LadyOfRoffle Sat 18-Oct-08 22:31:12

I bought them around now, they lasted I think a few months, we didn't need a new pair after the 6 week remeasure. At 2.6 he is on his 4th/5th pair which is alot better than I thought!

mamalovesmambo Sat 18-Oct-08 22:31:34

If he is walking then yes, get a proper fitting for him, OK to be in socks but have to help him balance and for instep to develop he needs good quality shoes rather than soft soles to walk in now. First pair last a few months, but depends on baby's development rate, may be a different size next month, or may be able to wear same shoes for 5-6 months.

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 22:31:53

I think the advice is to leave the real shoes until they have been walking for 6 weeks or can walk with their arms by their sides (as opposed to the frankenstein-style walk with arms out front/side).

Have you got any crawler/soft shoes that would just protect his feet a bit (in case of sharp bits)?

feedthegoat Sat 18-Oct-08 22:32:05

I bought shoes after about 3 weeks of confident walking. First 3 pairs of clarks lasted exactly 10 weeks each going up a full size each time. Still pains me to think of it!

MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:35:30

at Frankenstein walk - that's him

I was tempted by some soft shoes in Mothercare but I thought they might be a rip off - they're worth it then?

He's nowhere near walking with his arms down but his balance is improving - he can bend to pick something up off the floor without tumbling, but generally he does fall often, and has no idea about walking around something that's on the floor.

10 weeks sounds good to me actually, I worried about buying some now and them being obsolete before he was walking enough to justify wearing them.

We'll take him to Megabucks Clarks then

MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:37:24

So would you put them in their shoes while in the house on a normal day? What about at nursery?

MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:38:35

Sorry for multi-post, he has been walking 2 weeks but still crawls - less each day but when he falls down he tends to stay down for a bit!

feedthegoat Sat 18-Oct-08 22:41:29

Did't mind 10 weeks with 1st pair but after about 6 or 7 months added it all up with shoes, slippers, wellies and sandals and spent about £160 He always crossed over into hot/cold weather in one size then went up just as bought accordingly!

llareggub Sat 18-Oct-08 22:43:06

I take his shoes off in the house where he walks barefoot, just like me.

feedthegoat Sat 18-Oct-08 22:43:31

Think barefoot is meant to be best where possible but hard when its cold.

jamsandwich Sat 18-Oct-08 22:43:46

no, you're meant to let them be barefoot as much as possible, so I wouldn't put shoes on in the house.
I guess nursery is different though as they go out a few times a day and so i used to put shoes on my newly walking DD so the staff wouldn't have to go looking for those as well as the coat/ hat etc.

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 22:44:28

Shoes should only be for outside walking at this stage and for the next couple of years really.

Shoes at this age are purely for protection - they don't provide support or help foot development in any way. Putting them in shoes when they aren't ready and for too long can be quite harmful as the bones are so soft. Plus, they can interfere with them learning to balance, etc. If you watch his feet when he walks you'll see his toes curl under as he 'grips' the floor - that's a really crucial part of leaning to walk and balance and shoes interfere with that.

Cultures who don;t wear shoes don't have issues with arch support development, or similar.

Save yourself some money - especially if he still crawls a fair bit and get the soft soled ones for being outside then hand over your £30 once he really, really needs them grin.

MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:45:40

Thanks, so we'll stick to socks at nursery, they spend about half an hour in the garden but it's dry and partly covered so I won't throw shoes into the mix yet. He's our PFB so big milestone for us <sob>

MrsBadger Sat 18-Oct-08 22:45:42

DD's been walking [counts] 7wks and I bought her some last weekend solely because it was too wet to wear Inch Blue types outdoors

otherwise she'd still be shoeless

MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:47:03

MRsB what are Inch Blue types?

MrsBadger Sat 18-Oct-08 22:51:00

those leather slippery ones thus - also by Daisy Roots, Starchild etc

PoppyCoc Sat 18-Oct-08 22:51:31

inch blue

MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:53:13

Oh crikey they are cute. The hedgehog ones! Ahhhh. OH lord, CHRISTMAS PUDDING SHOES.

<hunts out credit card>

Bugger.

Thanks!

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 22:53:33

They are fab! All 3 of mine had them - the leather sole is a bit grippier than the fabric bottomed ones you can buy, only downside is, as MrsB said, they're not waterproof.

Plonker Sat 18-Oct-08 22:53:56

I bought my dd shoes as soon as she was walking outside, which was after about a month iirc.

My dd's shoes have lasted her forever i have to say (5 months) and i was desperate for her feet to grow so i could justify getting her some new shoes ...a girl needs new shoes after all wink grin

Agree with others re indoors. Barefeet only ...and that goes for my older dd's and me too smile

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 22:54:35

Trains, rockets or boats?

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 22:55:54

Shoo shoos were my favourites.

alittleteapot Sat 18-Oct-08 23:03:30

We got dd a pair of startrite pre-walkers at this stage after someone recommended them on here. They were fab - flexbile enough not to constrain her developing feet but meant she could walk outdoors whenever she wanted without worry of glass etc on pavements. Indoors, even now she's in proper shoes, I always take shoes off, and she follows by taking off her socks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now