Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

7 Month baby WALKING!!!!!! Normal?

(26 Posts)
MysticMog Mon 07-Mar-05 10:12:38

Hi My sis and I have babies 5 days apart mine is quite happy rolling around on the blanket with her toys. My sis's baby girl is walking!!!!

We could not believe our eyes, she pulled herself up onto their coffee table last Thursday and took a few steps. Sis has said she is taking even more today but she is worried that she's going to do herself some harm. Is this too young to be putting so much weight on her little legs?

Sponge Mon 07-Mar-05 10:15:25

It is very early to be walking but if she can do it then her body is ready. She'll probably fall over a lot though so they'll need padding. The trouble with walking that early I would guess is that she won't have too much sense of the world yet so is more likely to fall down stairs etc.
My ds is 7 months and can't even sit up properly yet!

Toothache Mon 07-Mar-05 10:15:43

OMG! My dd is 7mths.... she's just a tiny baby... I cannot imagine her legs being strong enough to walk!! She can stand holding onto the sofa, but only if I stand her their, she can't pull herself up. I'm just waiting for her to crawl, never mind walk!

Toothache Mon 07-Mar-05 10:16:34

Sponge - Ditto, dd stills topples over after a few minutes of sitting on her own.

Sponge Mon 07-Mar-05 10:18:24

I have a friend whose baby walked at 9 months but she did tend to chrage about the place a bit dangerously.
I know what you mean Toothache. Ds is still a little baby too - all chubby and bendy legged. He can support himself on his legs for about 30 seconds and then buckles.

MysticMog Mon 07-Mar-05 10:19:29

Yeh me too. Mine happily lays there in her donut, not really sitting down properly either.

My poor sister is trying to buy one of those baby pen things, she' swears she has about 12 grey hairs overnight!

She really wasn't prepared for that.

Nemo1977 Mon 07-Mar-05 10:19:39

aww my little boy was 8.5mths when he started walking but was always very strong..it is shocking when thye do it though...she is obviously ready to go...just tell ur sis to move everything.lol cosa they get good at climbing just as quick

Toothache Mon 07-Mar-05 10:19:42

I walked at 10mths. I worked with a guy whose 2 baby girls walked at 8.5mths!
Perhaps I need to get the stairgates up a bit sooner.

MysticMog Mon 07-Mar-05 10:23:10

My friend - who's PC I'm using has son who is 9 months old and he is sitting up and not interested in walking so sounds like 7 months is very ealrly on. It's weird we've been sat here laughing about it, Mystic's baby is huge and my sis's baby is tiny, they look so funny together as he is also not interested even in standing or crawling !

MysticMog Mon 07-Mar-05 10:23:57

nemo. Climbing, what? Stairs and stuff?

Nemo1977 Mon 07-Mar-05 10:27:34

stairs chairs throwing off couches..lol my ds could walk up and down the stairs by 13mths...hes 16mths now and thinks its great to stand about three stairs up and throw himself onto dog bed...arghhh heart in mouth all the time..

debs26 Mon 07-Mar-05 10:28:18

my little one could support his own weight at three weeks (whilst being held to stop him falling over). midwife said its just exercising muscles and wont harm them in the slightest. your sis is going to have to develop eyes in back of her head tho!

chocfreeclary Mon 07-Mar-05 10:29:40

That is early, my ds2 took steps at 9mths and a week, after being an early crawler/roller/sitter etc. But yes, if she’s doing it then she is ready. Hula’s baby was an early walker too IIRC. DS2 was a bit of a shock to me, you do need to get the stairgates up etc. Early walkers do tend to have less sense of the world so are likely to fall over/crash in to everything. I have no idea if it indicates anything “special” btw, but DS2 now is by far the most active of my 3, could kick a ball very early, tries to jump and hop (he’s not 2 yet) and generally wants to be runnign about everywhere. We say he’s going to be wayne rooney no 2 (yeah, i wish!). Good luck to yr sister!

Nemo1977 Mon 07-Mar-05 10:35:02

pmsl choc my dh sayd our ds is steven gerrard in the making as like urs he kicks ball can ballance on one leg etc all stuff that just amazes me and everything is a climbing frame

gingerbear Mon 07-Mar-05 10:36:41

my sister also walked at 7 months. At 11 months she climbed halfway up a window cleaners ladder. Mum almost passed out!

piffle Mon 07-Mar-05 10:40:55

Crikey what a little goer!
My son walked very early too at 9 mths, he had been cruising since 6 mths he was very strong very physical and very bloody determined!!
My dd could did not cruise til 11 mths and wlaked at 24 mths!
All babies are different! truth be told the early walking was a logistical nightmare in a lot of ways, what they have in physicality they lack in street knowledge - doors, windows, steps etc arrghh

chocfreeclary Mon 07-Mar-05 12:54:42

yeah nemo, “everything is a climbing frame” i’ll second that (sofa, stairs, me, table, computer, me, daddy, fence, wall, me....).
Also he always wants to be up there with his big siblings eg on the spider web in the park even though his little legs and arms really can’t reach!

chipmonkey Mon 07-Mar-05 13:29:23

My friends little girl walked at 9 months and now is 11 and a superb gymnast. If she can, then she's ready.

Maddison Mon 07-Mar-05 13:57:02

My brother started walking early too - at 9 months my mam used to put his hat and coat on and send him outside to play with our oldest brother!!

My DS started to walk at 9 months aswell and very shortly after that he started to climb the stairs! Needless to say we got the stairgates out pretty quick!

vess Mon 07-Mar-05 19:53:43

Well, if she wants to walk, she wants to walk!
Some babies walk straight away without crawling at all.
My ds made a brief attempt to start cruising at about 8-9 months without having crawled at all. He fell over and hurt himself quite badly once because he didn't have a good enough ballance - so I started putting him in the middle of the room, so he had to crawl over to something before pulling himself up, and that got him interested in crawling. He started trying to walk again at about 10 and a half months, and by 11 months was quite steady on his feet, so I didn't have to worry that much about him hurting himself. Seven months is by far the earliest walking age I've heard about so far, but I'm sure they'll manage somehow!

janeybops Mon 07-Mar-05 20:05:45

mmmmmm my ds was cruising at 6 months but was 10 months before walking on own.... last summer at 8-9 months he was climbing up the slippery bit of the slide in the garden regularly!

Now at 16 months he is diving off the top of them so I can catch him!

kama Mon 07-Mar-05 20:12:44

Message withdrawn

oxocube Mon 07-Mar-05 20:14:47

Gosh!! My 3 all walked at 10 months which I thought was a little weird but 7 months is really early!!! How exciting and how much more work for the parents

Jbck Wed 09-Mar-05 23:24:24

I was walking at 7mths 3 weeks, my brother at just over 8 mths but my DD pulled herself up & started to cruise at 5.5 mths! She didn't actually walk tho unaided & confidently till 10 months seemed to lack the confidence to let go. She would cruise the length of my Mum's living room touching the couches & table with 1 or 2 fingers but always dropped down at a space. She was climbing the stairs at 8 months like a tiny mountaineer. She was very petite & light so I think there was nothing to hold her down

goreousgirl Thu 10-Mar-05 00:05:53

Feeling awful now - ds is 10 months still can't even SIT UP by himself. Bet I'm not as tired as your sister though! Good luck to little legs there. Obviously VERY advanced!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now